6.4L Excursion conversion

Wayne

Reaction score
Thanks guys. North Dakota was a good experience, but having a wife and kids at home, it's good to have that chapter over.

TRUBBS

Reaction score
A couple of mine did that too. I had to weld them back on. Maybe next time I will take the cut and chisel approach. I probably would have if the ones above the fuel tank were beasts. Bed is off, but I had to get a little creative as I'm flying solo tonight, and a fork lift would be too awkward. Got 'er off though.
IMG_20140328_213040_326.jpg

this is the way I pull beds, but use my engine hoist instead of an A-Frame.

build looks sweet!

I bet you got one heck of a resume with all the different jobs you've had

Wayne

Reaction score
Yeah, the resume has gotten ridiculous looking. I really love the dealership I'm working at. There are a bunch of really talented people here, and this is the kind of place that regularly offers head stud upgrades among other things, so it feel like home. I sure am tired of moving as well. I did get my wheels picked out at least though. I was thinking I'd run the death metal bmf novakanes from my '03, but I want to mix it up a bit.
968_8full_11.jpg

I haven't seen these on anything around here yet, and like the way they look, so I ordered a set. They're pretty new though, and to get the deal I got I will need to wait until the end of the month until they ship. No biggie since it doesn't run anyway.

smcox1

Reaction score
I like those wheels first time I have even seen them. Love these excursion builds and can't wait to see this one come to life!

Wayne

Reaction score
I've accomplished next to nothing on the excursion since I moved to Idaho. I've been really busy with the Ford training program through the dealership, which is nice. About the only thing I've done up to this point is move all the parts that aren't attached yet to a storage unit, and order the frame sleeves. They're 3/16" thick, just like factory, and fit perfectly inside. Pics to come when I finish the graft, and get the cab pulled to install the drivetrain. I now need to get it running before I paint it due to mobility issues. Oh, well. No big deal. It's just not happening in the order I intended. Aside from that, my emblems did show up, but they were too black in person, so I exposed the metal on the vent bars. There's kind of a before and after below, along with the new sleeves.
IMG_20140823_185632_160.jpg

05dieselex

Reaction score
Once this is done... What do you think about shoe horning a 6.4 into an 08 or newer cargo van? You up to another challenge? If that won't fit, maybe a really worked 6.0.

Wayne

Reaction score
6.0, no problem. 6.4, well, anything's possible :D That would definitely be a cab up job though LOL that would also require a really fat wallet and lots of time too. There's a good reason Ford never offered that option unfortunately. I keep taking on new big jobs which keep delaying this rig. at least they're fun jobs. You may have heard of one or two, and something about a really big super charger :naughty:

TRUBBS

Reaction score
6.0, no problem. 6.4, well, anything's possible :D That would definitely be a cab up job though LOL that would also require a really fat wallet and lots of time too. There's a good reason Ford never offered that option unfortunately. I keep taking on new big jobs which keep delaying this rig. at least they're fun jobs. You may have heard of one or two, and something about a really big super charger :naughty:

spill it, spill it now! lol

Wayne

Reaction score
The super's not for me unfortunately. I'm working on a 6.0 getting some big lungs, well, big for a daily driver anyway.

05dieselex

Reaction score
Heheh... I'm flying out to test drive that thing! Or maybe I'll drive out, & fly home.

Wayne

Reaction score
Small update on the excursion project:
trans.jpg

Never mind the mess on the bench behind mine. That belongs to another guy at work. I found enough spare time at work to rebuild a core 5R with some mild upgrades. It's got heavy duty clutch packs, billet input, and the 13" suncoast converter left over from Buford. That aught to last me for a little while at least since I initially plan on getting it running on stock fuel injectors. I can always hope for future fueling upgrades, but I've got a completion list about a mile long. Maybe in the next few weeks I can get this thing along with some other stuff installed.

Radioflyer

Reaction score
This is awesome. Nice job on this whole project Wayne.

If your ever in the meridian area, drop by and say hi! I've got fam in twin falls and i'm down in that area from time to time. :cheers:

Wayne

Reaction score
Thank you. Also, I managed to squeeze the EX in the shop so I can do a few cab-up things with the big welder; well, big compared to my millermatic 135 anyway...
IMG_20150121_145944_383.jpg

IMG_20150121_150014_897.jpg

Hopefully I'll have a few more procress pics within the next several days that are worthy of posting. I guess we'll see.

Wayne

Reaction score
Got a few things done over the last few days.

IMG_20150122_121625_584.jpg

Finished the frame graft.

IMG_20150122_111833_343.jpg

IMG_20150121_190450_462.jpg

Swapped out the excursion rear springs for the '08 F-250 springs, and moved the spring mounts forward on the frame.

IMG_20150123_171135_503.jpg

Got the trans and t-case in as well as the up pipes, stock injectors, turbos, etc. It looks like I'll be able to do brakes, fuel system, and frame wiring before the cab has to come back down as well here in the next week or so.

sootie

Reaction score
what was the reasoning behind putting the F250 rears springs in? i am considering doing that to one of ours also...is it a must to move the hangers?

on another note-you say stock turbos? i thought this was getting the built motor and turbo setup from the red truck or did i miss something.,..

Wayne

Reaction score
The big stock appearing turbos was the original plan, and it's still in the future. Right now I'm in the process of closing on buying a house, so I've been trying to be really budget minded, and keep this project debit free. So far, so good, but that's part of the reason it's going so slow. Oh, well, it's not like I need the vehicle. As far as the rear springs go, they're 8" longer, so smoother ride. It also helps for an ideal location on the e-brake cable mount since the '08 rear axle cables go through the spring hanger mount. It'super easy though on moving the hanger since 2 of the front mount bolt holes in the frame become 2 of the rear mounts on the bracket.

Latest posts

Members online