6.4L Excursion conversion

Wayne

Reaction score
Good call Seth. The way you split the frame is exactly how I plan to do it. As I mentioned earlier, I plan to use the firewall, and everything in front of it from the 6.4 donor. I also plan to use the 6.4 dash and front door panels. Initially I will likely run the older seats and rear panels due to limited time to work on it. Then go back in with new leather. Front seats will also be updated, I won't know with what until I see it. I would like to do a king ranch style interior, but I just don't know yet. At some point in the not so distant future, I will also update the rear door panels, but they have to be built, so that's time I don't plan on spending initially.

Oil Field Trash

Reaction score
KR interior would be sick! I guess I assumed the rear doors used the same panels. I guess I need to look closer at my parents 7.3L excursion.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

highup0

Reaction score
I have an 01 Ex for a very similar swap. Still waiting to come across a donor 6.4. Good luck on yours!

Wayne

Reaction score
I thought things would happen a bit faster than they have once I started the thread, but this project is directly tied to my red truck being returned to mostly stock, and sold. I bought a little 1/2 ton daily driver I've been getting road worthy so I can disable the red truck as well as the donor truck for more than a day or two. The little 1/2 ton is just about there, so by next week I should have a few more things to add here. With limited available shop space, I have to keep everything I have going on to a single bay, so it's baby steps. That's part of the reason this build has a larger time window than my 7.3 bronco build I did a couple years ago. All this stuff has to happen after hours of my 70+ hr work weeks. It's different than what I'm used to, but still enjoyable. Here's to hoping for a notable update by next weekend:toast:

Wayne

Reaction score
I hear ya on the 6.7. I kind of wanted to do one, but would rather not have to go through the necessary body work to have the updated lines in the quarter panels. I do love the 6.4 though, and the right deal came along, so here I am. I do want to get a 6.7 truck, but it's just not a practical thing for me in the immediate future. I'm sure at some point, I'll get one, just not one I put in my own excursion. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the aftermarket responds to the '15's though. I hope things start to take back off. the weak 6.7 market is discouraging for just about everybody except those in business with waiting, although challenging opportunities IMO.

I have been kicking around a few different ideas with some friends, and the more things transpire, the more I see the majority of the go-fast goodies from the red truck ending up on the excursion. It's one of those "why not" situations where I already have the parts. Reliability is a major necessity with the excursion build, but even at 700+ hp, I've had hardly any problems in the past 22K miles of sometimes hard use, and a few 15# nitrous bottles run through it. I may just go with a smaller injector nozzle (like 30% range) for economy purposes. Now the lift is gone, the truck is getting 17 mph on the highway (80 mph range), so that's encouraging compared to the hand calculated 8.7 my wife just reported the other day. She's a conservative driver too. Looks like I may just swap drivetrains between the two trucks before I sell the red one, then get the excursion conversion prep under way.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Ours is moving along fairly good. Didn't get to touch it for a week because of other things to finish.

P1220365_zpsf1551edc.jpg

P1220364_zpsb7b62628.jpg

Only ended up having to drill 4-5 holes total to get the radius arm brackets mounted. Rear half we used was from an 02. Only other issue was cutting off a E brake bracket that was welded to the frame. It has to be moved forward and cut down for the 05 up rear.

I studied a 12 frame we had on the lift a few days ago. The way they joined the 2 halves together is considerably different then the way these are.

Would make doing a 6.7 style front not as easy. Looking forward to see how the 08 goes together.

dsberman94

Reaction score
it may have been said but i forget. you guys plan to drop the excursion body on the 6.4 chassis with motor and trans in it? sounds like a good plan to me. can't wait to see it done.

Wayne

Reaction score
IMG_20140125_195054_394.jpg

Pulling the trans and t-case tonight. Engine will be first of next week. Sure wish I had a lift to just pull the cab out of the way. Oh, well. With the drive train out of the way, it will be the perfect opportunity to graft the frame, and paint the inside of the firewall. Man, I gotta choose a color soon. This should be a fun little grocery getter for the wife since it will be getting the drive train from the red truck. :evil

Wayne

Reaction score
sell it when I get the ambition. LOL I was actually thinking of selling it with the bed as it has nice line-x, and a B&W in it, and to a lot of body shops, the bed is definitely repairable. Short beds are hard to come by.

Thanks for the link, NorthCentral. I've got all the major stuff covered, so when I get down to the little stuff, if anything stumps me, I'll give you a shout. This should actually be one of the more simple conversions for me, just behind my '84 7.3L bronco in simplicity.

Dave

Reaction score
Wayne if youre still in ND I would be definitely interested in the tailgate

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
To keep in the back of your mind when it comes to wiring. Rear lift gate interior light, rear wiper washer, rear defrost, power out lets, interior lights, over head console, rear heat and air wiring, vent windows. These are some of the things that take some time to figure out. The splicing of the frame and body are the easiest. Currently working on the interior wiring on the 12 EX

Wayne

Reaction score
Yep. Lots of wiring to do. Good thing I have access to wiring diagrams. I might also mention that the wife made the executive decision on the color today. She wants white. I am NOT a fan of "work truck white" (oxford, like the truck is), so we compromised, and it will be some variation of pearl white, with Ptm stuff, and black headlights, smoked tail lights, etc. Now back to work. T-case and trans are out, and engine should be out tomorrow night. Next step is to get the frame on it's way.