6.4L Excursion conversion

Wayne

Reaction score
Thanks to a little tip/input from Jared @ RCD, I have been influenced to go with Audi/VW Champagne Pearl paint code L0B9. Here's a pic of the paint:
img0421od.jpg

the new platinum white is a beautiful color, but a lot of amazing trucks are done/being done now with that already on it, so even though it's a slight change, it's enough to call it a deal. Now I'm a bit more excited to get something done. :D Sad, but true, one of the greatest decisions to make when I do a project is the color. It's kind of a relief to have at least the decision out of the way.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Thanks to a little tip/input from Jared @ RCD, I have been influenced to go with Audi/VW Champagne Pearl paint code L0B9. Here's a pic of the paint:
img0421od.jpg

the new platinum white is a beautiful color, but a lot of amazing trucks are done/being done now with that already on it, so even though it's a slight change, it's enough to call it a deal. Now I'm a bit more excited to get something done. :D Sad, but true, one of the greatest decisions to make when I do a project is the color. It's kind of a relief to have at least the decision out of the way.

MHO on pearl white is that it always has that yellow tinge to it which makes it look dirty even when it's super clean. Just my opinion though. I want to see this project done.

INFAMOUS

Reaction score
I'm 95% sure that's never been a factory color for anything, but could be wrong...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it is. I was gonna have my Harley painted
that color in till I found out what it was gonna cost.

I'm 95% sure that's never been a factory color for anything, but could be wrong...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Wayne

Reaction score
That sure is a beautiful color JD, but I don't mind the yellowish tint at all, and any hint of silver would really bug me because of the tan interior. They just clash really bad IMO. A few years ago a friend of mine rebuilt a '00 super duty with the tan interior, and went with the regular silver. Ever since I saw that done, I just can't get over how much I hate silver hues against tan. If I had a gray or black interior, it would be a done deal, but I'm not about to buy a full interior, so I'll have to leave that color for somebody else, or a future project.

Wayne

Reaction score
IMG_20140129_221934_873.jpg

Another baby step in the right direction. Just before I bought the truck, the previous owner had new up pipes installed. Too bad it wasn't until everything got a thick coating of soot. There is a lot of cleanup in my future I think.

Last edited:

05dieselex

Reaction score
Hey Wayne. The mirrors on the donor looked like they survived the crash. Are they goin on your conversion, or do you wanna sell them. I need a set for Red.

Wayne

Reaction score
They are tentatively spoken for, but if it doesn't work out, I'm sure we can work something out. I already have '08 mirrors on the excursion, so the ones on the truck are sort of extra. Glad to see you on the forum here Bill. I think you'll find a lot of useful info here.

Gearhead

Reaction score
I can't tell from the pics, but did you just join the frame and weld it end to end with no overlap? If so you might think about reinforcing that area.

05dieselex

Reaction score
How are things ... Any progress lately? 70 hour work weeks don't leave much free time!

Wayne

Reaction score
Unfortunately it'll be after valentine's before I make much headway. I'm headed home for a week on Friday morning, and still have about 20 hrs worth of work to finish before I leave. I will be ordering the grille next week, but that's about it. Going with this style pictured below though
ebay_09_F-250_wht_grille.jpg

I hope to have the excursion frame to the shop when I get back as well. that's a big hang-up for now. Matt: as far as the frame graft goes, I'm hoping to splice it at the factory joint behind the frame cross member, just like the factory does except for grade 8 bolts instead of rivets. If that doesn't work, I will do a large backing plate with plug welds and bolts. It will probably be stronger than factory whatever I do. The pics you've seen of frame work are of other people on different vehicles trying to illustrate their approach.

Wayne

Reaction score
IMG_20140218_185937.jpg

This showed up today, but there's not much else to report for updates. My red truck is torn apart now, getting the stock drive train put in. Once it's done I will be back at the conversion. It sure is a challenge trying to work in 2 fairly big projects after hours. I hope this doesn't drag out more than originally anticipated.

Latest posts

Members online