6.4L Excursion conversion

TurboM700

Reaction score
Wayne

What yr and how much are you looking to spend?

I know where there is a clean v10 2001 with a engine knock for sale. He is asking 2500 but I bet you could get it for less. Its in MN so shipping or towing it home wouldnt be that bad.

Heck the guy was asking 3 for mine and I got it for 1500.

Wayne

Reaction score
That might be in the realm depending on body condition. I'm not a big fan of rust, so much of that would definitely be a deal breaker.

In other news, I got the truck back in the shop to start prepping what I can. Tonight I will have the bed off, but that's about it. before I started, I had a discussion with the bolts in which I informed them that one way or another, they were coming out. They chose another way :( by the time I made it to the 4th one (heating up the nuts from underneath to soften the factory loctite) my super fancy high impact snap on T-50 rounded the tips off, and I was forced to weld nuts on the tops of the last 5. I forgot what a pain these bolts can be until tonight.
IMG_20140328_195837_739.jpg

co04cobra

Reaction score
We usually cross cut the heads and chisel them off. Welding a nut on works good until the nut on the bottom breaks out of the clip :doh:

You gotta love good ol road salt...

Wayne

Reaction score
A couple of mine did that too. I had to weld them back on. Maybe next time I will take the cut and chisel approach. I probably would have if the ones above the fuel tank were beasts. Bed is off, but I had to get a little creative as I'm flying solo tonight, and a fork lift would be too awkward. Got 'er off though.
IMG_20140328_213040_326.jpg

Wayne

Reaction score
Well, I just bought a new project donor. Here it is:
dieselx2.jpg

dieselX.jpg

This one's an Eddie Bauer 6.0, so I plan to use the drivetrain from it, throw in some head studs exhaust, tuner, gauges, and an EGR delete, then install it in my tan one. Then the body and frame from this one can be used in the 6.4 conversion. Now my wife won't have to be without wheels, and the resale value on the V-10 will go up. Once both are done I can sell the 6.0 to recover project costs in the 6.4. I'm about to go on days off here at the end of the week, so nothing will happen until I get back at the beginning of May, but I'm pretty pumped to now have 95% of the parts I need to do the 6.4 project.

Wayne

Reaction score
Ya know JD, if the drive train was in it, I'd definitely take it for a spin around the block as-is :D I'm pretty stoked on the deal I got, and now things are primarily limited by my available time. I will pick up the wrecked '03 either tomorrow or Wednesday. I haven't even seen it in person, so I m really hoping for no surprises. ...unless it's an envelope full of $100 bills :lookaround: that actually happened once on an auction truck I bought. Man, that was a nice surprise.

Last edited:

Wayne

Reaction score
Well, I got the new donor to the shop, and I. Many ways it's better than I expected. After I peeled back all the broken junk, I put power to it, and it fired right up. It looks like I need most everything from the water pump forward, but luckily the pcm and abs module were untouched. Here's the extent of the damage with most of the broken stuff peeled back:
IMG_20140415_194345_701.jpg

co04cobra

Reaction score
You're making progress Wayne, looks good! If you don't have all the stuff from the water pump forward, let me know and Ill hook you up.

Wayne

Reaction score
Thanks Seth. Expect a call in the next few days. :D if it is missing from this pic, or a complete v-10, I probably need it. I will put a list together.

co04cobra

Reaction score
This is how the truck earlier in your thread turned out.

07 7.3 - 2.jpg

07 7.3 - 3.jpg

And we have finished another one since then too!!!

What have you been doing!!!???

Don't act like you been blazin all over the country fixing trucks that "shouldn't" have broke. :morons:

Attachments

• 07 7.3.jpg
    07 7.3.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 111

Wayne

Reaction score
Oh, I know. Call me lazy, right? LOL that one looks like it turned out nice. Unfortunately my livelihood takes precedence over my excursion projects :( if only my family didn't need food on the table, and parts were free, things could go much more quickly.

Wayne

Reaction score
Well, both projects picked up the pace for the next month. I took a new job in another state that starts in 6 weeks, and in order to move, I need the 6.4 project as 1 vehicle, and the v-10 to 6.0 conversion complete to do that. Thanks to Seth, for a bunch of factory stuff, and my account at premier, things are well on their way.
IMG_20140506_222559_903.jpg

Wayne

Reaction score
Exhaust for the 6.0 just showed up. Apparently I bought the last of it's kind as a discontinued kit from MBRP. 3.5" down pipe to 4" aluminized "off-road" system with a muffler. Everybody seems to still make the kit which retains the cat, but I want to do one of those "high flow" cat modifications that slip over the pipe, and weld in place. I've also decided when the time comes I'll try for the 5" hypermax kit for the 6.4 excursion. It seems like the excursions are not nearly s well supported as the trucks unfortunately.

Wayne

Reaction score
IMG_20140510_185714_613.jpg

The 6.8L has officially been retired from excursion duty. Now I gotta decide what to do with a complete drivetrain set and no chassis to put it in. More than likely if I haven't sold it for super cheap to avoid having to store it, it will end up in an older pickup project some day. Until then, I need to focus on finishing the projects I'm already in the middle of.

Wayne

Reaction score
A big thanks to co04cobra (Seth) for most of the stock parts I needed to finish the 6.0 conversion. They were killer prices, even after the shipping! I got it running tonight, and woke up some neighbors on a WOT test drive. LOL I have a couple little loose ends to tie up on it, and it's back to the '08 conversion this coming weekend. It sure is weird/fun hearing the open '03 6.0 exhaust scream from the same rig I've been putting around in for the past 2 years behind the torqueless v-10.