2012 Metal In Fuel, Not water related

96F350KID

Reaction score
Wonderfully a customer has brought in a 2012 F250 6.7 full ******s 66,000 miles with a stalling issue as well as a crank no start when hot. First thing we did was duplicate the symptoms and found warm the truck will only produce 4,099 PSI of rail pressure when cranking. Once started and driving the "tow" tune would command 38,000 psi of rail pressure. Next the procedure is to take a fuel sample. Pulled the rail sensor on the driver side and cycled the key. The truck pumped out what is pictured, quite a bit of metal. Ford states when this happens to check for water in the fuel. Here is the interesting part. There is no water in the entire tank, we dropped it and put all the fuel into clear 5 gallon water jugs. It had 15 gallons when it came in. None of the sensors had any rust on them none of the fuel lines or FCA were rusty. The particular tuner used on this truck is the same tuner we have had 6.4 and other 6.7s come in with fuel system failures. We determined after much poking and playing without taking it down the extreme high rail pressure is what caused the pump to kill itself. I won't disclose which tuner is on the truck due to bickering and complaining. I will say the tunes are not flashed using a SCT Device. As i stated earlier this is not the first time this particular tuner has been attached to a truck that has fuel system failure. All trucks with it have been older adult owned vehicles on strictly the tow or stock *** off tunes without many miles at all. I will advise anyone out there with my own opinion to verify how much rail pressure their tuning is using. This particular truck sounded like a rattle box and the customer thought it was "How a diesel should sound" with everything removed. My personal 2015 is tuned and still runs like a stock quiet truck. What are your thoughts? I wouldn't have made this post if it didn't seem like it is a pattern. Now I'm well aware of the fuel system issues the early 6.7s already had but as far as this truck I don't see it being related to that issue, maybe we're wrong. But none the less the vehicle needs a new fuel system and is switching to a different tuner. We're gonna pop open the HPFP before we send it back to have a look. P.S I tried to take a good picture of the fuel sample but I can't get the lighting correct but you can see a few of the flakes in it. :ford:

Attachments

• bay.jpg
    bay.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 165
  • 20160926_123105.jpg
    20160926_123105.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 165

Profuzz

Reaction score
How much rail pressure should one see ?? At say 65 mph steady on flat land

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96F350KID

Reaction score
Max should be 30000 this tune was commanding 38 but the truck was only putting out 27k so I can only imagine when the pump was in good standing what it was actually doing

Profuzz

Reaction score
Max should be 30000 this tune was commanding 38 but the truck was only putting out 27k so I can only imagine when the pump was in good standing what it was actually doing

Thanks for the information

gnxtc2

Reaction score
We determined after much poking and playing without taking it down the extreme high rail pressure is what caused the pump to kill itself. I won't disclose which tuner is on the truck due to bickering and complaining. I will say the tunes are not flashed using a SCT Device. As i stated earlier this is not the first time this particular tuner has been attached to a truck that has fuel system failure.

I understand the bickering/complaining part but to keep the common cause a secret, is not right.

Billy T.
[email protected]

96F350KID

Reaction score
It's not keeping it a secret. Auto manufacturers program vehicles to run according to their specifications and they build them to run to the specifications they want. When you buy tuning for your vehicle you're putting the trust of your vehicle into somebody elses hands that knows what they're doing to tune your vehicle or suppose to know. Just do your research on every tuner and you won't have a problem. Tuners that cause problems are the ones that everybody sells that want to make a buck or just run a .com for extra income same ones that you can find on Amazon and eBay because somebody doesn't want to spend another couple hundred bucks on a decent set of files or tuner.

96F350KID

Reaction score
I've already stated my reasoning for not posting who it is. If you can't respect the fact I didn't start a thread to cause drama and bickering than move on. This was a simple explanation to be directed at the masses to make sure they do enough of their own research on who to use on your $60k+ truck. I already noted it isn't anyone who tunes via SCT so that should narrow it down to a few. EzLynk doesn't get used on a 6.4 so that should narrow it down even more.

jwalk09

Reaction score
Fuel rail pressure on mine won't go any higher than 29.2 at WOT but it will spike up to 27-28k during light to moderate acceleration when at higher rpms. And then settles back down to 13k or so when cruising . Are these spikes normal ? 2015 running a level 2 street tune

Last edited:

96F350KID

Reaction score
It really depends on a various amount of things. Depending on the driving situation and conditions it may be normal what you're seeing. Unfortunately these things aren't cut and dry anymore. The vast amount of technology and the processors that work with the tuning you may have make it impossible to diagnose over the web. Best thing to do is find a local shop or educated member here that can collaborate with you in person.

T_W6.7

Reaction score
Haven't had enough experience with ******* tuners to know how they respond, have lots of guys with the Mini with 100,000's of thousands of miles logged in PSD pickups, not saying it's the best tuning, but personally haven't ran across an issue with them, also don't want to see a pissing match happen in the thread, would just be interesting to know exactly what tuner you're contributing these failures to.

redneck1

Reaction score
Based on the OP original post. He stated the owner ran strictly tow tune or d p f off stock tune. But stated not an sct tuner, which would leave $partan or h and s, $partan doesn't label their tunes like that which leaves h and s can tunes. Plus h and s are the only ones that I know of that run stock d p f off can tune. That's what I'd say.

Reaction score
Well for future safety there's the 6.7 Disaster Prevention Kit which reroutes the fuel to go through the filters before the engine. Haven't installed it yet but it's on the short list.

96F350KID

Reaction score
Doesn't help much if the metal is coming from the HPFP directly to the injectors. Unless it's a way to filter 25k+psi I don't see the need for it. A FASS with a 2 micron is really all you'd need on anything.

JRLott

Reaction score
Doesn't help much if the metal is coming from the HPFP directly to the injectors. Unless it's a way to filter 25k+psi I don't see the need for it. A FASS with a 2 micron is really all you'd need on anything.

I understand they typically fail on the bottom side, send fuel & particles to the top, and then through the injectors. This kit apparently sends fuel to the HPFP and splits it between the bottom and top. The top then sends fuel to the injectors and the bottom returns to the tank to then be filtered before returning to the HPFP. Therefore if the HPFP fails as is typical, the crap will go back to the tank instead of directly to the hp side and injectors. Obviously, if it fails on the hp side...it's fvckin worthless. FWIW, I do not have it so have zero reason to defend it.

Latest posts

Members online