bad idle when hot

CurtisF

Reaction score
I'm going to go ahead and disagree with the consensus here and say that tuning will fix that.

To the OP, your truck idles EXACTLY like mine used to. Didn't happen all the time, but when it did it was when the engine was warm. Cold idle was nice and smooth. Anything above idle ran great and like a raped ape.

And contrary again to the thread, I say lower ICP at idle, and higher idle speed. That's what smoothed mine out.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
I'm going to go ahead and disagree with the consensus here and say that tuning will fix that.

To the OP, your truck idles EXACTLY like mine used to. Didn't happen all the time, but when it did it was when the engine was warm. Cold idle was nice and smooth. Anything above idle ran great and like a raped ape.

And contrary again to the thread, I say lower ICP at idle, and higher idle speed. That's what smoothed mine out.

If he goes any lower with ICP the pickup might not even run.... He is @500 ICP now, So he could gp a little bit lower... BUT not much

My Pickup with 300/200 With 650 to 700 ICP is smother then his is @ only 500....

CurtisF

Reaction score
If he goes any lower with ICP the pickup might not even run.... He is @500 ICP now, So he could gp a little bit lower... BUT not much

My Pickup with 300/200 With 650 to 700 ICP is smother then his is @ only 500....

Mine idles at about 420-430psi of ICP at 700 RPM.... and it's very smooth. At just a hair over 500 ICP and lower idle speed, my truck would chop like that at warm idle too.

Watching his truck idle in that video was like watching an exact copy of my truck only a couple of months ago.

Tom S

Reaction score
I agree with Curtis on the 700 rpm being a smoother idle speed.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Mine idles at about 420-430psi of ICP at 700 RPM.... and it's very smooth. At just a hair over 500 ICP and lower idle speed, my truck would chop like that at warm idle too.

Watching his truck idle in that video was like watching an exact copy of my truck only a couple of months ago.

higher RPM would make a differance for shore... Insted of running @ between run and between die.. It runs at always alive.. SO yet 700 RPMs would be smother... I just did not know you could go below 450 and still run...

I learn somthing new every day!!

Thanks!!

Chrisf97305

Reaction score
Running a higher idle with a auto trans would not work. then you have to change your stall speed.
as it is now the truck wants to drive at 500. 700 i would have to put the trans in natural at every stop light.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
Same here.... Matter fact Cales tunes idle at close to 750.... And Im pretty sure I have a higher stall TC

Mine aren't ilding that high. Didn't he have to.turn yours up to smooth those injectors out at idle?

Sent from my EVO 3D on the East Side

TARM

Reaction score
IIRC its the injectors from Farmers that has a lower ratio barrel:plunger

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what a "sure flow" injector is??

These injectors are manufactured in main purpose to increase towing capabilities while lowering exhaust gas and oil temperatures.

They are excellent for daily driving and towing.
The internal components were designed to harness mechanical hydraulic drive ratios which make the injector very efficient.

They are not your typical modified A Code injector.

njjeep

Reaction score
Just to let the op know my truck with 250/200 swamps injectors was doing the same thing.(maybe worse) Just changed the oil last night to mobil delvac and dumped some 2 stroke oil in the fuel tank and now it idles smoother than it did with the stock injectors. This is my third oil change since putting the injectors in 2000 miles ago.