Fuel system upgrades

slowstroke

Reaction score
it's time to upgrade the fuel system so I can feed my stage 3 hybrids. I am going to do a regulated return but have been trying to figure out which high psi fuel pump to go with that's reliable.

Also is anyone running a PureFlow AirDog II as a prepump, how do you like it?

TARM

Reaction score
The AD II is not a pre pump its a main HP pump. You want the standard AD it is a lift pump.

Reliable pumps is a Fuelab 41401

Holley Dominator 1400/1800 looks to be a cool pump line which each is actually two pumps that work together in parallel. The second one kicking on as needed to hold pressure and flow rates. It is fully diesel rated. The cost is less than a the fuelab.

http://www.holley.com/12-1400.asp
http://www.holley.com/data/Products/Technical/199R10573rev4.pdf

Something I might use in the next system I do for someone. You get the performance of the fuelab with the fault tolerance etc of the dual stock setups.

The Holley 12-1400 runs $330 and flows 105@60psi `13.5v
The Holley 12-1800 runs $399 and flows 140@60psi 13.5v

So for the cost of a the standard Fuelab most use the 41401 $407 it flows about what the smaller 1400 flows if you have the FL on full speed. Its a good looking setup IMO. A pump dies and you are still going down the road. If you want more for the same cost as the FL 41401 you have access to 140 gph.

Last edited:

TARM

Reaction score
Yep it actually takes less fuel than most of the pumps we use flow. If a stock pump is holding to 400hp+ that tells something.

TARM

Reaction score
That is a fav but just an FYI to everyone: I called Bosch for other reasons a while back and I was told they are no longer producing the Ford 7.3 fuel pumps as of this second or third quarter of this year . Any pumps going forward will be Carter or airtex. So once stocks are depleted off the shelves it will be salvage yard only to get them. Maybe someone else would be willing to call as well and confirm this. If correct I would get them while there may still be some on the shelves. I can tell you from looking at the specs of the other pumps the Bosch's are for a number of reasons a much better made pump. Flow rate is only a small part when you are talking about durability.

The dual pump is the reason I find the Holley offering so appealing. Two pumps that can be wired to work just like our dual setups but they coming in all one housing with a single 10an inlet/outlet. This saves on extra fittings etc. You can wire it a number of ways. One run full time and the second to only come on where either a min pressure is reached or via boost, throttle position I would think could be done as well. With these you would run two separate 30amp relays for each pump. If you just want it to run like the typical dual stock pump running together full time then a single 40 amp relay with both power leads combined into the one relay.

The pump can also be submerged so I could build a surge tank to fit it as well.

I think this pump would be the one I would use on the next fuel system I build. They are suppose to have a rated 100,000 mile regular driving duty life or 3000 hr continuous on duty life.

I thought the pumps were brushless but I must have read it somewhere else as I can not find anything in any of the documentation. It would be nice but not a deal breaker as the bosch pumps use brushes and last for 200K and more at times.

I very happy when I saw they were diesel rated as usually most pumps are not.

Latest posts

Members online