NOX module got me.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Popped the P0100 and U0106 codes and lost the glow plugs. I thought I unplugged those things....guess not. Just a warning to those about to delete...don't miss that connection.

Mpoage

Reaction score
I've had that happen on a few trucks including mine. I think water and dirt gets into the connector on top of the nox module and it shorts out.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Is this unique to the 15's? Is it just one module or are there multiples? I know the 15's have that 3rd O2 in the tailpipe.

Just curious. I haven't used an X4 on a 6.7 yet

Reaction score
Popped the P0100 and U0106 codes and lost the glow plugs. I thought I unplugged those things....guess not. Just a warning to those about to delete...don't miss that connection.

Can you explain in more detail what you mean about what failed and why? I guess Ive never heard how a NOX sensor/module issue can make your glow plugs innoperable. I have a 2011 and I literally disconnected the NOX sensor connector from the NOX module and left the sensor in the DPF. I also completed disconnected the NOX module from the main harness and removed the whole NOX module unit from the truck. The NOX module has been in my garage since I deleted it a couple years ago and no problems.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
I dunno why but apparently the NOX module, glow plugs and MAF are all on the same circuit. I meant to disconnect the modules from the main harness...just forgot about it I guess. I got the codes and lost the glow plugs...that's the tell-tale sign that the module shorted out. I even put dielectric grease in the connection when I unplugged the sensor....still shorted out.
I'm gonna pull them off today and throw a new fuse in...should be good to go.

Last edited:

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
yeah, I can see how if they're all on the same VREF, if you short one out or short out the NOx module via a sensor lead how it could cause some issues down the chain...

Thanks for the PSA, Rico :D

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
So just out of curiosity I unplugged the rear module first, threw in a new fuse and immediately popped it. Unplugged the front module, threw in another fuse and all is well.
The plug for the sensor on both was/is full of dielectric grease so I have no idea why it had issues.

LAMB

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue with my 14. Both modules are just unplugged and the connectors are just hanging there. I've had it happen every couple thousand miles or a couple hundred miles it seems to pop another fuse. I talked to the service manager at the dealership and he said it has something to do with the software within the programming of the ECU. It runs a system check every so often to look for the modules and if they aren't hooked up it seems to blow the fuse. From what I gathered from him the change was made on the 13's going forward. I was wondering if this could be fixed with the tunes I am running or if I have to get creative and make some changes to the circuit to mimic the modules operating correctly.

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
Any more direction or pics on what to do? How do you keep this from happening on a 15' that is dereeted?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

BigRed97

Reaction score
....I talked to the service manager at the dealership and he said it has something to do with the software within the programming of the ECU. It runs a system check every so often to look for the modules and if they aren't hooked up it seems to blow the fuse.....

That's horse ****, that's just your dealer making **** up to sound knowledgeable. Programming will NOT blow a fuse.

Any way it happend to me also a few hundred miles after weight loss. I left the module plugged into the main harness and just unplugged the sensors. Got the codes after the first rain storm. Found green stuff in the front module sensor socket, removed both and greased and taped up connectors and No issues since

LAMB

Reaction score
I've been through about 5 or 6 blade fuses so far trying to get it to go away. It keeps coming back sometimes sooner sometimes later and I noticed it does depend on the weather and it's never at an exact mileage. I am going to check the connectors again clean them out with alcohol and pack them with dielectric and wrap them with a glove or something to make it water tight. I originally had them both connected and ran almost 8k miles then popped the fuse I disconnected the rear most module first and blew a fuse right away then tried disconnecting the one towards the front on the inside of the frame rail and it went away for about 6k miles but came right back on again one day. Cleared the code tried another fuse and blew right away again.

Zmann

Reaction score
if you can't solve the issue
why not run an auto-resetting fuse?

LAMB

Reaction score
Just ordered one from littelfuse, should be in some time next week. I am still going to try to clean out the connections and pack them with dielectric to see if that fixes the problem first. If it doesn't fix it then I will try the auto reset blade fuse it was about $6 shipped to my door.

Zmann

Reaction score
they work well for the random fuse blowing problems and even troubleshooting

now if it blew a fuse every few minutes then I would be inclined to find the problem
sooner than later LOL

LAMB

Reaction score
Yeah it's not that bad lol. Thanks for the help and I will update once I get around to working on it when I get back from vacation.

Be.jammmin

Reaction score
I haven't had any of these codes yet. How many of these NOX modules are there on a 2015 and where are they located? I remember seeing two on the frame (one on the inside and one on the outside). Plus the particulate matter sensor by the tailpipe. The PM sensor is already taken care of. Thanks in advance.

B

jwalk09

Reaction score
I haven't had any of these codes yet. How many of these NOX modules are there on a 2015 and where are they located? I remember seeing two on the frame (one on the inside and one on the outside). Plus the particulate matter sensor by the tailpipe. The PM sensor is already taken care of. Thanks in advance.

B

3. There is also one at the rear tailpipe section

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online