Is it worth buying the PSD with govts and manufacturers announcing all EV

Reaction score
Thoughts. Was planning on ordering an F450 this fall to replace our 06 for hauling our 5th wheel, but wondering what the future holds for us and trucks

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

superpsd

Reaction score
Well no one has a crystal ball. At this time however Ford has already announced there is no plans to electrify the superduty line. They did not mention if they were considering hybrid options. I have a 2020 F450 there are some great improvements made to the 3rd gen 6.7 and the aftermarket is already supporting them well. By now they are working the bugs out of the 3rd gen and the new 10R140 transmission. I had one of the first 10R140s coming off the lines as I took delivery in 2019. They had valve body issues but mine has worn itself in and now is working almost flawlessly. I have 15K on mine now. Only dealer visit was for TCM software update flash. Other than that I've changed the oil twice and just drove it. S&b intake is on a delivery truck as the air filter is due. Next mod on my list will be a SPE disaster prevention kit when the 20-21 kit is released and spin on fuel filter kit and eventually tuning software.

Last edited:

El_conquistador

Reaction score
I think we are pretty far out from seeing a heavy duty truck line moving to all EV. Mainstream cars are just now starting to appear and the charging network is not even in place to support them.

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
Tesla will make it happen once the Cyber Truck is closer to release. I'm not moving to an EV truck until the range is closer to 500 miles.

Hell the new Hummer EV is going 300 miles....LMAO...and costs close to $100k. The next versions will run about $80k and go 250 miles. WTH....LOL

dsberman94

Reaction score
EV has a long way to go before they’re affordable or practical for the normal citizen. No to mention the electrical infrastructure to support everyone charging their vehicles at home.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Nuke power plants next to every truck stops...

That's alotta nuke plants LOL

dsberman94

Reaction score
Which one of the options gets bitched about the most then, radiation, deforestation, industrial, etc.?

6.7Bison

Reaction score
I think some of the other guys here hit it pretty well. I don't expect EVs in the heavy duty truck market for a while. The main problems being infrastructure and battery technology. Charging stations aren't prevalent enough and require major changes to the grid to install and support. Batteries are not nearly energy dense enough, are expensive, don't have a long enough life span, and take a long time to re-energize. I like the fewer moving components and instant torque of an EV for towing/hauling. We may see some hybridization and niche full EV's. Unless the government forces the industry into full electrification knowing full well it's unfeasible/unsustainable in the short term, I would stick with the oil burner without a second thought.

EPA

Reaction score
Like fuel cars the range is not accurate... Test is done in a controlled environment. But unlike ice vehicles the range of the electric car is drastically effected by wind, temp and grade. Sure ice cars are effected but its minimal in comparison. Tfl did a tow test with a model x and the results were terrible, range was cut in half not even near max tow capacity. Ever wonder why Elon won't challenge his ice competitors to anything more then a 0-60 race (including the semi)??? Because as much as it pains me to say it, he is not an idiot. He knows that currently thats all he has over ice vehicles, better 0-60 times.

Black AOD

Reaction score
Thoughts. Was planning on ordering an F450 this fall to replace our 06 for hauling our 5th wheel, but wondering what the future holds for us and trucks

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

my advice is order your F450 and get a 2022 model so you get the giant dash screen and be done and happy with your choice.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I think we are pretty far out from seeing a heavy duty truck line moving to all EV. Mainstream cars are just now starting to appear and the charging network is not even in place to support them.
That is exactly it... takes way way yo long to charge anything that isnt Tesla..

live life full throttle

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
I think the technology is available for EV pickups now. It really depends on how liberal the town/state is. With Freightliner putting EVs on the road here in Portland, EV buses, UPS and FedEx EVs and all the passenger cars, it is definitely possible. The non-Tesla infrastructure is headed from the 50kw units to the 150kw units for the public DCFC stuff and that’s pretty damn fast. Still not enough out there and still not fast enough. The instant torque in a silent, leather wrapped dually would be ***in awesome. I don’t have the patience to stand around and wait for it to charge and much more often. It is quite a bit cheaper than gas though. The bastards aren’t even paying the road taxes here because that is all added to the per gallon price. Just like the ***ers that ride the bicycles. Don’t get me started.....

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I think the technology is available for EV pickups now. It really depends on how liberal the town/state is. With Freightliner putting EVs on the road here in Portland, EV buses, UPS and FedEx EVs and all the passenger cars, it is definitely possible. The non-Tesla infrastructure is headed from the 50kw units to the 150kw units for the public DCFC stuff and that’s pretty damn fast. Still not enough out there and still not fast enough. The instant torque in a silent, leather wrapped dually would be ***in awesome. I don’t have the patience to stand around and wait for it to charge and much more often. It is quite a bit cheaper than gas though. The bastards aren’t even paying the road taxes here because that is all added to the per gallon price. Just like the ***ers that ride the bicycles. Don’t get me started.....
Yep. Charging is free....

live life full throttle

superpsd

Reaction score
Well Ford has no plans to EV the superduty trucks at this point. I personally would like them to add a powerboost hybrid option like the 3.5 eco F150. The power boost is said to push fuel economy to 24/24 which is a nice gain and you don't need to charge up a huge battery pack or lose payload due to a massive heavy battery. Alot of the 20-21 SRW 6.7 trucks are getting 20mpg with some tweaks. I added an S&B intake to my 20 F450 and I gained almost a full mile per gallon on a completely stock truck as I am almost to 16 average over 15K miles. Add an powerboost option and I could see a SRW 6.7 getting unloaded 22-25 mpg average and duallys in the 18-20 range. Now that would be sweet to me. The engine would work less to do the same amount of work with an electric motor helping. Better effeciency will mean less regens etc.

Last edited:

ForeverFixing

Reaction score
Order your F450! You will love it. By the time any changes will take place the wind will blow a new direction and a new project to fix the world will be coming to a theater near you.

Members online

No members online now.