7.3 in 6.4 Truck

Reaction score
Searched but couldn't find answer. I already own both trucks. 6.4 truck needs an engine, and 7.3 truck needs a cab due to rust in various places. I'd like to put 7.3 drivetrain into the 6.4 truck. I was wondering if the engine mounts would work interchangeably and if there is any firewall differences between an 99-07 cab and a 6.4 cab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

co04cobra

Reaction score
We did one. Electronics were a nightmare. I'll post some pics and info later.

Reaction score
Curious if you can get the electronics to play nice with each other.

We did one. Electronics were a nightmare. I'll post some pics and info later.

Ideally I would swap the 7.3 dash into the 6.4 truck, and every electrical component. That is if the dash structure will fit an 08 firewall.

Please post some pics and any more info whenever you have time, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

co04cobra

Reaction score
Sorry I've been a little slow getting back to this. Here are a few under hood pics.

The 99-07 dash wouldn't work because they changed over to all electronic heater box, no vacuum, in 08.

Tying the 2 systems together was a real PITA. Also in 08 everything switched over to a ground system rather then a standard 12v control system. That proved to be even more of a PITA.

I'll dig up some more pics when I get a chance.

I would tackle this swap in a little different way if we were to do another one.

image_zpsrbt4hkr6.jpg

image_zpsvljc9z3d.jpg

Moosef350

Reaction score
Hey cobra, can you go over some more details? I’ve always wanted a 08-10 king ranch 7.3. I’m planning my swap now. Thankfully there are a good supply of wounded 6.4s. I going to stand alone the 7.3 with a zf6. And retain the 08 to run the everything else. Keep gauge cluster, using swap helper tach helper and put all 6.4 sensors in the 7.3 that are relevant. No cruise figured out yet though. Did super duty 7.3 engine stands bolt into the 08 chassis and how did the oil pan fit?

Latest posts

Members online