2006 6.0 injector knock?

rjustman

Reaction score
hello all,

my brother in law has a 2006 CCLB king ranch with the 6.0. up at the last camping trip of the year with family, he was headed home and stopped by a local circle k to fuel up.. about an hour later truck started running like crap and smoking a lot of white/ light grey smoke. really bad at idle. stopped on side of the road and drained his water separator and continued on, stopped at first parts store and got a bottle of diesel clean and dumped entire bottle in tank to help with water in fuel, limped it home and drained all fuel.. got on a local Facebook power stroke page and got some insight on what to do from there.. he drained all fuel out of tank, put a fresh about 5 gallons of fuel in it, added some stanadyne lubrication formula and some ATF to his tank ( per forum members recommendations).. the truck was running what anyone would call rough before he drained the tank, but now that he has fresh fuel in it, it has a terrible knocking sound and the smoke went from white to dark gray, like its rolling coal at idle.. he's hasn't driven it, just slowly gave it a little throttle trying to clear it out and nothing.. any idea what we can do from here, he's not big into diesels and I've about tried to help him everyway I can from over the phone..

also if he decides to do new injectors, what else should he do while he's doing that job. Any good upgrades yall would recommend? he's not into power making and wont be doing turbos or anything like that. its just a daily truck he uses to pull his trailer. its a bone stock truck as of now. zero upgrades, no oil coolers, egr, nothing.

thanks

Richard

also tried to put videos and pictures up and cant now because photobucket don't allow it for some reason.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Could be a stuck open egr valve, or an injector hung open. If it doesnt hydrolock, or the oil hasnt grown any, id be leaning towards a stuck egr valve. Much more common than hung open injectors as well.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

rjustman

Reaction score
Pm me a phone number. I’ll shoot the video over I just got.

Last edited:

Gary

Reaction score
It sounds to me like a cracked injector nozzle, it'll dump so much fuel they are hydro-locking which is making the noise. When they are dumping fuel like that you can "taste" the diesel fuel when you can near the exhaust.

If the nozzle is cracked you have a fuel pressure issue.

Latest posts

Members online