04 excursion front end vibration

scotzilla

Reaction score
between 55-62 I have a slight side to side vibration in the steering wheel. Just put brand new rims and tires on, replaced all the steering linkage, steering dampener and ordered urethane track bar bushings even though they look fine. Any suggestions? Im tired of throwing money at things that arent the problem. Its got 120K on the clock so I figured the steering was due anyway. Btw is on 33's with a leveling kit

scotzilla

Reaction score
no in the wheel and the whole truck shakes, notably the wheel and passenger seat. Yes tires were balanced and alignment done at the same time

golfer

Reaction score
my 2000 model has the passenger seat shake as well...not so much in the steering wheel.

got muccccch better with newer tires...and multiple balancing(s)...and rotations..moving side to side helped 50%...but still there...enough to be bothersome.

just no time to squeeze it into the shop to have the guys go over it...maybe someday< LOL

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
How is the steering?

I switched my bosses steering box to a redhead box when he had a similar issue and it fixed the problem. Only difference was he had a little slop in the steering wheel.

cbf9703

Reaction score
my 2000 model has the passenger seat shake as well...not so much in the steering wheel.

got muccccch better with newer tires...and multiple balancing(s)...and rotations..moving side to side helped 50%...but still there...enough to be bothersome.

just no time to squeeze it into the shop to have the guys go over it...maybe someday< LOL

I agree on the multiple balancing, some places fail miserably the first time around, especially with bigger wheel/tire combinations. :hammer:

FWIW, new driveshaft cleared my vibration up.

scotzilla

Reaction score
So i went back to square one after jacking up the truck and spinning the tires i could see they had some hop to them. Brought it back to americas tires and dynamically balanced them. I made them check them how they were and some were 4-6 ounces off! Even then we got them balanced out but it didnt help much- I also put the best two up front. They say its from lack of rotation but i dont know- this thing wasnt out of alignment and had nothing wrong with it. So there answer was buy new tires. This morning I brought it to my shop and coated the tire with wd-40. Did a big 2nd gear burnout on a concrete pad and inspected it. You could see all the highs and lows in the tread. After two more burn outs everything was even and smooth. Test drove it and its %80 better. I plan on rotating them front to back again and doing more burn outs. Its worth a shot at this point. anything beats replacing tires with 3/4 of the tread left

golfer

Reaction score
So i went back to square one after jacking up the truck and spinning the tires i could see they had some hop to them. Brought it back to americas tires and dynamically balanced them. I made them check them how they were and some were 4-6 ounces off! Even then we got them balanced out but it didnt help much- I also put the best two up front. They say its from lack of rotation but i dont know- this thing wasnt out of alignment and had nothing wrong with it. So there answer was buy new tires. This morning I brought it to my shop and coated the tire with wd-40. Did a big 2nd gear burnout on a concrete pad and inspected it. You could see all the highs and lows in the tread. After two more burn outs everything was even and smooth. Test drove it and its %80 better. I plan on rotating them front to back again and doing more burn outs. Its worth a shot at this point. anything beats replacing tires with 3/4 of the tread left

excellent!

my previous tires were like that...hi/low treads...the newer ones (less aggressive pattern) seem to be doing better.

scotzilla

Reaction score
oh i got video- These mickey thomspons are hard! I did big smokey 30-40 second burnouts and it was barely taking anything off. If i did that with the toyos on my f350 they would have been gone. Ill get the vid from my guys :)

Latest posts

Members online