Couple upgrades to the f350, reman zf5, southbend dual disk, denso heavy duty starter

97stoker350

Reaction score
Just wanted to give some credit where it's due given that good quality **** is hard to find for these old trucks. I recently lost 3rd gear in my zf after around 225000 on the clock. Went with high impact transmissions, skeptical as I was, the transmission came as it was supposed to in decent time and seems to be working fine. Paired it with southbends new street dual disk which is also MINT. Hardly any noise when the clutch is depressed and the pedal feel is super nice and plush but not too plush... it's a little difficult to get in 1st amd reverse sitting still but it's only got a couple hundred miles so far.

I also had a starter go so I picked up the denso gear reduction unit from CNC Fab and let me tell you, this thing is awesome. Cranks the 7.3 over easily as fast as my 6.7. Very pleased with this product as well. Some people mentioned having to do mods to fit it but I did not fwiw...

Shoutout to High Impact trans, southbend clutch, and cnc fab/denso for exceptional products.

Hope this helps anyone looking for replacements

Reaction score
Just ordered a new motorcraft starter tonight for my 96 off rock auto.

How much did the denso run you?

Bugman

Reaction score
The big thing on the Denso starter is to make sure that you are getting a real one and not one of the Chinese knockoffs that are out there

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
The big thing on the Denso starter is to make sure that you are getting a real one and not one of the Chinese knockoffs that are out there

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
Buying from CNC Fabrication you're getting a true Denso starter

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
****ing things have been out forever, are you guys really just learning about them? I've had mine for about 7 years now.

Reaction score
No, most folks know about the gear reduction starter "swap", but many probably just get something unknown which could be a Chinese knckoff (hence the caveat). Cheers!

97stoker350

Reaction score
****ing things have been out forever, are you guys really just learning about them? I've had mine for about 7 years now.

Uh huh? Literally nobody looks at their truck and says "im going to upgrade my starter today..." one of things u dont "fix" till it's broken which doesnt happen all that often. Thank you for your extremely useful comment.

I either saw or talked to someone that said the genuine denso units have a little green denso sticker on them... mine did

mandkole

Reaction score
Uh huh? Literally nobody looks at their truck and says "im going to upgrade my starter today..." one of things u dont "fix" till it's broken which doesnt happen all that often. Thank you for your extremely useful comment.

I either saw or talked to someone that said the genuine denso units have a little green denso sticker on them... mine did

Yep, I just removed the original Mitsu a couple months ago. Should have done it a couple years ago.

96PSD

Reaction score
I just did almost the exact same refurb on a new to me 1996 PSD. Rebuilt ZF5, new SB 1944-50K added Irate efuel, Rosewood injectors and a sh** ton of other stuff. I used the XDP gear reduction starter and am very happy with it, its much smaller, cranks like a beast and has the 3 hole pattern.

MeTo

Reaction score
This whole Chinese bashing thing reminds me of how people talked about Jap stuff in the 60s. Yes, I'm old enough to remember that very well. A decade later and they were kicking our asses in electronics, auto industry and etc.. That being said, I intentionally purchased a Chinese gear reduction starter 4.5 years ago for $97. It has been working flawlessly. If it fails before I do; I will purchase another one.

Carry on and happy holidays everyone.

97stoker350

Reaction score
I never have any luck buying the knock off parts. But that's also why I started the thread to bring light to this sort of thing. Happy holidays!

Bugman

Reaction score
My problem with knock off parts is that when they fail they usually fail in a place where I am going to need to walk quite a few miles to even get cell coverage.

I just as soon as pay the money and get a quality part and not have to worry as much. It doesn't mean that that quality part won't fail but their failure rate is rather rare.

Latest posts