Let's talk non-Diet tuning and mods

TrickTruck

Reaction score
I had a '12 that was put on a diet w/ the mm, g3arhead tune, 5" exhaust, egr, NL intake etc.
It ran like a raped ape and got 18mpg doing it at 80mph. Towed a big toyhauler like a champ too.
Great. Only thing I didn't like is that it was real hard on tires :D Maybe a left foot problem.
Wifey had a wreck with it and I worked my way out of the '12 into a '16.
Still have all the hard parts, but obviously I'll need a tuner & tune for the '16.
The best my '16 gets is 13mpg :(

However, lots of posts on bookface about the EPA cracking down on trucks like ours. Sending owners in for inspection and all kinds of nonsense. Way I see this, it's only a matter of time before there's some lottery and a letter from the EPA which says 'go get it inspected' or else...

I remember from putting all that stuff back on my '12 that it was not a fun job, that and I got the $3000 prize heater problem code too.

So, good reasons to diet, good reasons not to diet. I would propose we talk about the non-diet options.

I think I'd like to get the NL intake and a hotside/intercooler pipe on the truck at minimum (yes, the intercooler kit I have won't work unless I diet.) Truthfully I'd like one of the 'replace all the pipes' kit, but as I understand it these are only for dieted trucks.

I see 5star has a 90hp / 180TQ tune. But they are using either a proprietary tuner or an obsolete one. No good tuner option with them IMHO.

There's a couple other new to the 6.7 game tuners like Superchips and Duramileage, but I hesitate to be a guinea pig for them.

I think the ezlink even though pretty spendy is the right choice, but I could be wrong.

I now yield the floor to those with more experience on this subject.

20170619_140938_1497896653017_resizedLarge.jpg

theyallbreak

Reaction score
Im running 90hp 5star tune (sct) with AP intake. Runs well and shifts good and regens are better than stock in fact it reaches the 500 mile forced regen,you will have to ask them to adjust the maf sensor so the code does not pop-up for big intake. I ran IDP *** on sotf tunes and was having regens every 175 miles are so. E-mailed eric and sent me many revisions (ran good) but stopped running it do to the excessive regens and my oil was showing it. I know jody at dp tuner has gotten good reviews he uses sct and ngauge. I want to run calibrated powers new sotf fly tunes,but do not want to spit out another 800 dollars. i know they have been tuning *** on for duramax and cummins for awhile and have seen no complaints. They claim near *** off h.p ratings with factory regen cycles with customers backing it up (spoke to one). I know they use h.p tuners software and edge pro to load it.

theyallbreak

Reaction score
If you do not want to tune i have a bd throttle sensitivity booster and a ts performance mp-8. I ran it for awhile and made a noticeable difference and 1 mpg

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Im running 90hp 5star tune (sct) with AP intake. Runs well and shifts good and regens are better than stock in fact it reaches the 500 mile forced regen,you will have to ask them to adjust the maf sensor so the code does not pop-up for big intake. I ran IDP *** on sotf tunes and was having regens every 175 miles are so. E-mailed eric and sent me many revisions (ran good) but stopped running it do to the excessive regens and my oil was showing it. I know jody at dp tuner has gotten good reviews he uses sct and ngauge. I want to run calibrated powers new sotf fly tunes,but do not want to spit out another 800 dollars. i know they have been tuning *** on for duramax and cummins for awhile and have seen no complaints. They claim near *** off h.p ratings with factory regen cycles with customers backing it up (spoke to one). I know they use h.p tuners software and edge pro to load it.
Wow, just read CP's site on their tunes. These seem to be the best I've seen yet. D3leated power w/o the d3leate. Nice. Minimal regens.
CP's using a Edge Insight CTS2 PRO tuner. Are these any good? Haven't seen anyone talk about them.
Also the price is closer to $1400, $690 for the tune & $680 for hardware...ouch.

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with CP. I'd submitted some questions on email and they called me. Spent a bunch of time answering questions. Very professional and knowledgeable.

W/ the egt sensor it's $1500.
They can tune for the NL intake.
No tune for the d3leated version of the intercooler pipe, I'd have to get an emissions compliant one.
180 hp &more than 500 ft-lbs of tq on the hot tune! Yea man.:D
Regens go way down. Surprising.
Does not know about mounting the EGT sensor. Says we can just watch the post turbo temps and add 100° and not need an EGT sensor.
Who has the pipe that accepts the EGT probe? Or do I have to make one?
MPG certainly better, but no promised numbers. Est 2-3 better.
Boost on the hot tune is in the mid 30s.
Trans is tuned too.

Now to convince wifey...maybe I'll get it for Christmas :)

Still talking to Inovative about this as well. Not as much power, but half the price too.

sootie

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with CP. I'd submitted some questions on email and they called me. Spent a bunch of time answering questions. Very professional and knowledgeable.

No tune for the d3leated version of the intercooler pipe, I'd have to get an emissions compliant one.
Does not know about mounting the EGT sensor. Says we can just watch the post turbo temps and add 100° and not need an EGT sensor.
Trans is tuned too.

Still talking to Inovative about this as well. Not as much power, but half the price too.
Can you not read the probe in the uppipe? 15+ trucks have one in the RH side

powerstrokelyfe

Reaction score

Trans is tuned too.

Those are all great points. OP, update us if you get CP tuning.

theyallbreak

Reaction score
Yeah i gave them a heads up on the big intakes when i spoke with them many times. I was basing my price off of my wholesale price for the edge pro. You can buy the cheaper edge pro that looks similar to the x4 to load the base tune and forscan to read the 11 egt probe. I just want someone to be the guinea pig im tired and broke from it.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Lots of 16's spinning crank gears also...

For a guy like you, better stay stock!

Jomax

Reaction score
Would be pretty cool to have tuning that keeps the emissions Intact and have the same power to boot. It’s got to be sweet to haul he mail without a speck of smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Lots of 16's spinning crank gears also...

For a guy like you, better stay stock!
First I've heard of that. What you mean a guy like me? I never break my sh1t. I'm good to my machines. You must be thinking of Dan :D

Sootie, there's an EGT probe Pre-Turbo? I didn't know that. Confirm please. Where?

ckrueg

Reaction score
First I've heard of that. What you mean a guy like me? I never break my sh1t. I'm good to my machines. You must be thinking of Dan :D

Sootie, there's an EGT probe Pre-Turbo? I didn't know that. Confirm please. Where?
Yes there is a pre turbo egt sensor. My ndash reads it read it. I believe it is the passenger up pipe but I'm not sure

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

CATDiezel

Reaction score

It will be the second time you hear it when you come back with a crank position sensor code and truck won't start problem. 2016 models only apparently. I've seen 3 so far pop up on Facebook. One was 15 minutes after he tuned his truck. Spun the crank gear.

Guy like you. As in, you take your truck to the dealership for brakes and fuel filters. Complain it's too expensive and justify trading the truck in. No offense. But my comment is for "people like you"

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Other damage when this gear spins or just that? What's the solution? What's the cause in the '16 only?

You got the wrong guy man. I do 98% of the work done on my trucks. From the fabrication of the first and second prototypes of the front bumper (and heavily involved in all the production ones), to all the lift, fuel tank, differential, delets, forscan, swapping all that sh1t back on the '12 and onto the '16, etc etc.

Yes, I let the dealer change the oil, 1 because I don't want to have to handle 13 qts of waste oil and 2 because I can't do it myself any cheaper than they do it. Fuel filters, OK, you got me. Brakes I'd do myself. Only thing the dealer ever did to my '12 was the trans pump under warranty. They haven't done dick to my '16, but change it's oil (once for free.)

You WAY got the wrong guy if you think I don't work on my junk myself.

sootie

Reaction score

Yes there is a pre turbo egt sensor. My ndash reads it read it. I believe it is the passenger up pipe but I'm not sure

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

correct.

It will be the second time you hear it when you come back with a crank position sensor code and truck won't start problem. 2016 models only apparently. I've seen 3 so far pop up on Facebook. One was 15 minutes after he tuned his truck. Spun the crank gear.

Guy like you. As in, you take your truck to the dealership for brakes and fuel filters. Complain it's too expensive and justify trading the truck in. No offense. But my comment is for "people like you"

Its 15 up that it happens to, and almost all of them running Patriot tuning. I believe has to do with how hard they shift at WOT. The rotating mass is so violently slowed down, it overcomes the crank gear.

And to answer your quastion Trick Truck, the only way to avoid is weld the gear to the crank, which would require complete disassembly. If it happens to you, the only way to fix it is complete disassembly...

Last edited:

Jomax

Reaction score
I’m really thinking of trying this CP tuning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20156point7

Reaction score
Would like to see track times to back up their claims. Until them I’m skeptical.

Me too, especially the less regens claim. More power=added fueling=more smoke=more regens. Common sense tells you that. Why not just run something that is tried and true by thousands of guys instead of something that is gonna be a shot in the dark?

Latest posts

Members online