Oil Cooler

'94IDITurbo7.3

Reaction score
A friend of mine is looking at buying a 2006 6.0l and he is worried about the egr cooler and oil cooler going out. i have explained to him about watching the temp deltas and such. i also told him it would be very wise to upgrade to a oil cooler such as bulletproof diesels but he doesn't want to spend $2,300 for an oil cooler. I have seen the bulletproof diesel remote mount oil cooler and it is really nice, i will have to talk to him more about that lol.

is there any other quality oil cooler set-ups like the BPD one that does not cost so much? in the November 2012 issue of diesel power mag there is a SICK 6.0l and they said it has a oil cooler relocation from Maryland Performance Diesel, and it shows it has a front mount cooler mount behind the bumper. i checked on MPD's website and found nothing about it. i am going to shoot them an email and verify though.

he is really worried about the reliability of this truck if he gets it, and it doesn't help that when he google searches things about it, the only things he finds is the horror stories lol. i told him to get something like an Edge CTS or the like to monitor things. he is thinking about doing some Isspro gauges further down the road along with the monitor so he can keep tabs on everything.

Thanks for any and all input!

Snoop

Reaction score
If he's not doing anything crazy with the truck, I'd just delete it and though an international oil cooler at it right away. BPD is very nice, but you pay for what you get. Do a coolant filter at same time as oil cooler though.

'94IDITurbo7.3

Reaction score
So is the IH cooler different/better than the Ford cooler? as of right now he doesn't plan on going crazy with power, probly just simple tunes once he gets head studs in it further down the road.

Snoop

Reaction score
For one its cheaper online through one of the vendors here on the site than going to Ford. Two, I believe it is slightly different than the Original version. Has extra cooling row and thicker fins? Hopefully someone can confirm this. That's all that I have put in, zero failures so far.

Snake

Reaction score
IH cooler is the same. If he's planning on keeping the truck and doesn't want to worry about the oil cooler, it's tough to beat BPD.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I just did studs/gaskets on mine and put a stock oil cooler back in it. I think they can be had around $275 last I checked for the rebuild kit, comes with everything needed.

I am at 110k miles, headgaskets blew three times on my truck (Ford dealer never got it right) and it was on the original oil cooler still, temps were still in check. I deleted the EGR cooler a long time ago and put a coolant filter on it around 75k miles if memory serves.

Latest posts

Members online