Toasted another "Built" transmission...

Extended Power

Reaction score
Transmission locked up in 4th or 5th gear. Not sure which, as the Edge CTS2 monitor gear display jumps from 1 to 5, or any gear in between.

Pulled the pan off, and checked six of the seven solenoids. (Did not want to pull the solenoid body off.)

Pulled the filter off, and dumped this out of it:

ks7AzN1.jpg

Last edited:

DieselJpower

Reaction score
I'm wondering if I should consider a 4r for mine. I'm at roughly the same power level as you I believe and sure don't want have to buy multiple trans on this rig. Who built the different units that have failed ? We're they rated for the power you make ? PM me if you don't want to put any names out there.

Extended Power

Reaction score
Same place built it all three times.
Yes, they knew exactly what I had for a setup...they had the truck in their shop every time.

I'm not even racing or towing this damn thing.....sorry...it made two dyno pulls, and one trip down the quarter mile...

If it's the torque converter that is torn up, then it's a different story.

Everyone may remember that the last time this transmission was rebuilt, it never even made the 6 hour drive back home before the torque converter nuts backed off, and cut half ways through all the studs on the converter itself...destroyed the flex plate, and the torque converter.

Since I could not drive it back the 6 hours to have the shop repair it, I got the ok to take it to a local shop, who pulled the converter, and flexplate, and installed a new billet flexplate, and new converter...what brand of converter...I don't know.

And since it's been since 2013 since it was rebuilt...regardless of only having less than 3000 miles on it....it has no warranty.

So...idk if I should try to pull it myself, and rebuild it, or go a different route...
I sure don't have the $8K wanted for these new built transmissions...

Bryce_fow

Reaction score
Same place built it all three times.

Yes, they knew exactly what I had for a setup...they had the truck in their shop every time.

I'm not even racing or towing this damn thing.....sorry...it made two dyno pulls, and one trip down the quarter mile...

If it's the torque converter that is torn up, then it's a different story.

Everyone may remember that the last time this transmission was rebuilt, it never even made the 6 hour drive back home before the torque converter nuts backed off, and cut half ways through all the studs on the converter itself...destroyed the flex plate, and the torque converter.

Since I could not drive it back the 6 hours to have the shop repair it, I got the ok to take it to a local shop, who pulled the converter, and flexplate, and installed a new billet flexplate, and new converter...what brand of converter...I don't know.

And since it's been since 2013 since it was rebuilt...regardless of only having less than 3000 miles on it....it has no warranty.

So...idk if I should try to pull it myself, and rebuild it, or go a different route...

I sure don't have the $8K wanted for these new built transmissions...

I have built a few 5r110s they are really simple to build I always use suncoast kits and a dpc converter and at least a input shaft I was at the same power as you on one 6.0 and 6.4 and they held a lot of torture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Extended Power

Reaction score
I've already got a DPC converter back from inspection and restall.
Was wondering about the kit Jesse Warren sells.
Suncoast would be another option for sure.

Bryce_fow

Reaction score
I can’t answer for warren because I never got his but I know I didn’t want to do it twice so I went with suncoast little more cash but I think worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Extended Power

Reaction score
Well this is really gettin me down...
Starting to weigh my options here, and I keep coming back to:

Buy a used transmission from a wrecked truck, and sell the whole truck.
Just let the buyer know that the trans is not built, and will tear itself apart if you put your foot to the floor.
Include the trashed built transmission with the sale, along with all the new parts I was gonna do this winter, and call it a day.

I don't like being in this "spot"...

KCTurbos

Reaction score
What did you break last time on the trans?

How did you break it this time?

Who's Tuning?

I am been pushing well over 1000hp threw my Andy trans all year and it has held up great.

We carry Andy Warren kits in stock. Let us know if we can help.

[email protected]

Extended Power

Reaction score
Last time: didn't make the 6 hour drive home without the torque converter nuts loosening off, destroying the brand new high stall converter, and stock flexplate.
The shop asked me to bring it back to them, but I said there was no way it's gonna make a 6 hour drive. So they said to take it to a local shop. And I did. We split the cost of a new billet flexplate, and they paid for a new torque converter...but I have no idea what the local shop installed for a converter.
That was three years ago.
The last two years alone have been wasted on trying to get a proper tune for a set of hybrid injectors...which after the two years, I went back to my 285/100 conventional injectors.
I got to drive my truck twice with the new injectors in it.....and it trashed the transmission.

I have no idea what went wrong with it this time, all I know is that it is stuck in 4th or 5th gear. (Reverse works good, but only one forward gear.)
The pictures show brass. (Possibly)
I pulled and tested all but one solenoid, and they all measured good resistance. I didn't pull the last one, as I didn't want to separate the solenoid body.

I found a used stock transmission for $500.00
I think I'm just going to buy that, and install it myself, and then see just what went wrong with my built transmission.
As long as I keep my foot out of it, it should last long enough for me to save up to have the built transmission built again.

matt92idi

Reaction score
for what its worth my old truck had a warren trans kit in it. full billet trans. brand new pump and everything. spring rudys the pump ate the converter, had the converter redone and twisted went through the whole thing and did one of their pumps and no issues since then. truck made 800ish at one point and the trans never skipped a beat. I know you don't wanna hear it but id go with a warren or twisted trans in a heart beat.