Cracked piston

kleake

Reaction score
Pulling the camper at 70mph, slight hill so boost was likely around 30-35, engine temp around 205-215 area, all of a sudden one cyl drops out and lots of white smoke. Pull over and it blew a glow plug grommet off making a nice oil mess. Got it towed home. Compression check says Cyl #5 has 0 compression. Haven't dug in deeper yet, but assuming cracked piston.

I have had the cab off twice in just over a year doing head gaskets and complete upper end components. Second time was also a head gasket that didn't hold under pressure, but this time it's been running great with no issues until this.

I know it's unlikely to know the cause but anything I should look for other than just mileage? I have just under 250k on the truck, put $10k in it over the last year. I'm debating to throw a set of pistons at it or just bite the bullet and put a complete engine in as I'm getting tired of pulling the cab every 6-8 months. I would have been ahead at this point if I had put a new engine from Ford in when the first head gasket started leaking.

If new pistons, which ones should I look to get? I'm not looking to gain performance or anything, just want something dependable. i see options for stock / delipped / coated / etc. Everything else in the engine is stock. New parts within the last 20k miles: Heads, injectors, HPFP, rockers, push rods, lifters, front cover, and a few other things I probably forgot.

mohead1

Reaction score
Damn, must be nice to have that kinda money layin around

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

kleake

Reaction score
HAHA,, that's funny! I had to refinance the truck the first time around, and will likely do it again with this. It would be nice to have that kind of money laying around. Luckily I got a good deal on the truck when I bought it, but I'm already in it for more than it's worth, and this will put it over the top. BUT, if I don't do this, I won't be able to get what's owed on it, so i'm pretty much stuck with fixing it.

mohead1

Reaction score
My 6.4 F450 is about doing the same. I really like the truck....but its been in and out of the shop over the last couple years. Aint no coupla hunnert with these i discovered. Its thousands. 4k in a trans, rocker arms w related fuel lines 2k, injector 1.2k, front cover 1.4k......its only at 135k miles, then the ball joints,.steering gear, d-leted w exhaust and cai/tuner...all that done by me for another 2k w my labor.....disappointed w Ford on this bull s h i t

Last edited:

kleake

Reaction score
Yep, I've got this truck modded just like I like it and it has all the goodies I want. A newer one still wouldn't be setup like I have this one. I've already done the transmission (with upgrades), tuner, ******s, exhaust, coolers, traction bars, drive shaft, steering box, etc, not to even mention hood, stereo, winch, and other appearance mods. I get compliments often, but it's definitely used and not a show truck. I really want to keep it, but I hate throwing more at it. Really tempted to just put a new motor from Ford in it so I've got a warranty and such, but that's 2/3's what I paid for the truck to begin with.

mohead1

Reaction score
Sounds like the same deal w mine, gotta decent buy, but thats out the window w all the repairs

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

78f100

Reaction score
If you can and the block isn't hurt rebuild it, there are piston choices now that don't have issues cracking. It's highly unlikely your block is within speck to run international pistons as they only come in stock bore. If you do a stock short block it's always a chance another stock piston will let go, though im not sure what pistons Ford is putting in them now. Several companies sell short blocks with hd pistons or international pistons as a upgrade. There isn't really a cheap alternative but if you like it and plan to keep it I would definitely not go back with anything that has stock pistons in it. Just my opinion, good luck I know it sucks I've been there.

kleake

Reaction score
I hear ya... I guess i'm between a full engine at BIG $$$$$ but at least it has a warranty, or going the cheaper route with a fresh bottom end and new pistons for about 1/3 of the price. I still could see hone marks when I had it apart last, so the block should be reasonable I hope. What are the best piston choices now days? I've seen several available, but don't really know much about which ones are best.

sootie

Reaction score
Maxxforce7 pistons are best bang for buck. Also they dont have the same cold hazing issues as delipped stockers.

kleake

Reaction score
Maxxforce7 pistons are best bang for buck. Also they dont have the same cold hazing issues as delipped stockers.

Do these lower the compression? I was seeing good info on these, but wouldn't that also reduce performance, at least very very slightly. Heck, if I lost 10hp I don't think I would care if the truck would run more than 10k miles before the next teardown. lol Where is the best place to get these?

sootie

Reaction score
Do these lower the compression? I was seeing good info on these, but wouldn't that also reduce performance, at least very very slightly. Heck, if I lost 10hp I don't think I would care if the truck would run more than 10k miles before the next teardown. lol Where is the best place to get these?

they don't lower compression as they are the same height and still a complete bowl (albeit a round edged one). Fly cutting actually reduces compression more than delipping anyway...

You could get them straight from international or many of the vendors on here. I got mine from Midwest Diesel.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Perfect! Thank you!

hit me up if you need pistons or anything else, we stock HD pistons, and they will alleviate the cracked piston problem forever. sorry to hear about your issues.

kleake

Reaction score
Yep, i'll be needing pistons, and a small bore. Injector issue or faulty piston that finally gave way? Going to do a little research as it might be cheaper to go with a short block already loaded with what I want.

Yes, big pictures, so you can see the detail

Yes, the valve imprint I believe is new.
uTOqVa7.jpg

And yes, it scuffed up the cyl wall a little. Pretty minor really, so a .010 bore should do the trick, but that's just more $$$. I wonder if I should go with a short block or build mine.
ovnQSt2.jpg

kleake

Reaction score
Does the Maxxforce7 pistons require any other changes? One guy commented that due to the dish difference they require different tuning or even injectors to work right. Also due to different weight, the whole assembly needs balanced? Balance part doesn't bother me, I figured I would have the machine shop doing that anyway, but different injectors? That seems odd to me.

Roccafellas

Reaction score
Does the Maxxforce7 pistons require any other changes? One guy commented that due to the dish difference they require different tuning or even injectors to work right. Also due to different weight, the whole assembly needs balanced? Balance part doesn't bother me, I figured I would have the machine shop doing that anyway, but different injectors? That seems odd to me.

They have a more open bowl to promote fuel swirl, in 2010 maxxforce changed there injectors the nozzles and spool valve I believe are different. Physically the same but internals are the difference That only was due to emissions but as far as different tuning or injectors no, it’s not needed, all big tunes will spray outside the lip anyways, along as there not factory and thy are delipped or maxxforce’s you’ll be fine.
As far as the weight idk if theres a difference but as well usually you always get your rotating assembly balanced so, like you said NBD MAHLE makes the pistons for both...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
No changes required

kleake

Reaction score
On the way to the machine shop to see what all is needed.

xq3b3Fb.jpg

Hole all the way through.
Xasuaoj.jpg

Even the cam is massive compared to an old school 350
CAhlFEf.jpg

Everything out. The crank looks really good, but i'll have it polished anyway.
x4P8Ny6.jpg

On the trailer ready for the machine shop.
lELXrV6.jpg

Latest posts

Members online