OBS burning oil.

Austintacious

Reaction score
Afternoon Gents, so I'm currently on the road from abq NM to Edna TX. I've been having to constantly top off the engine oil. Seems to burn a gallon every 300mi. I pulled the fuel filter out and it looks like it got painted black. I did a quick search thru the fourm and it seems to point to the injector orings failing. My question is, can I keep running the truck until I can get back home as long as I keep the oil topped off or am I going to damage something in the motor if I don't take care of this right away? Truck seems to be running just fine other than blowing huge clouds of smoke everywhere. Any input, suggestions or opinions would be a huge help. Thanks all!

Bugman

Reaction score
As long as you keep the oil level up and perhaps change the filter a few times you should be fine.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Austintacious

Reaction score
Ok so now I'm stumped. I replaced the fuel filter before leaving TX and the whole trip back the old girl didn't burn a single drop of oil. I pulled the filter right after i got back and it was as clean as when i put it in new. 2 weeks of normal driving later and no oil burning and the filter is still clean. The truck still blows smoke but only when accelerating now. before it was blowing smoke constantly even while just idling. it was so bad it looked like I was coal rolling while taking off and down shifting. the only difference on the return trip was I wasn't pulling anything. I only had a 16' flatbed with my sister's rav4 and a brush hog on it. probably 6000lbs all together. but again, the truck seemed to be running fine other than the powerful thirst for rotella t on the way down. I would think if it was the injector o-rings, I would still be seeing oil in the fuel bowl. I had read online that some 7.3 owners that put upgraded turbos on their truck will have the new turbo actually suck oil out of the crankcase thru the ccv. I didn't slap a monster turbo on mine but it definitely is pulling more boost than the stocker. anything else anyone can think of? Truck has 184k on it and the engine is mostly stock other than the turbo and exhaust.

Last edited:

Austintacious

Reaction score
was or is there any signs of oil in exh housing, downpipe, exhaust etc?

not that i could see. just the normal layer of black soot but it was dry all the way up to the turbine outlet on the dp. only place i saw oil was from the ccv on the intake side and it wasnt a lot. fwiw, did have a ford mechanic buddy do a cylinder contribution test and check the hpop pressure, fuel rate, ipr ect... he said everything was well within normal perimeters. he thought injector o-rings would be the likely culprit but he said he'd never seen a truck start burning oil and than stop without actually changing out the o-rings.

Latest posts

Members online