Toasted another "Built" transmission...

Extended Power

Reaction score
I'd love to try a Warren Diesel transmission....I mean...if it can hold the power Jesse is making, it utta hold what my truck makes easily.

I just don't know what's best...
Some use Raybestos, some use Alto...
Some use a 4 pinion OD planetary, others have a 5 pinion option.
Some use billet 300, while the better, I've heard, is the Aeromet input shafts.

Don't know if I should just buy parts, and get it built here at home, or drive it down with a used transmission, and get a company to swap it out for me in the States.

The price I've seen for the competition transmission from Suncoast, is $10818.00
So Tac on another 30-35% to that price, and you start to see where I'm getting stuck with just letting the truck sit....

The oil patch ain't what it use ta be....

sootie

Reaction score
altos are a hard clutch, and glaze quite easily. Seem to hold up for competition use but must be tuned to shift dam hard to last. i toasted mine with street use making less power than you. Raybestos gpz are the best all around clutch on the market today imo. lasted well for me.

5 pinion planetaries seem to have better luck holding together on those high torque OD pulls lol

i twisted a 300M billet input quite easily at 600hp but when switched to arhmet-no longer had issues even at much higher power levels than that.

Just my experience fwiw...

co04cobra

Reaction score
I also snapped a 300m shaft at around 800hp. I have a customers truck with a twin turbo 6.0 that has went through 2-3 of warrens pumps in very little time. I wasn’t involved in any of the trans specs so I can’t comment on what the build was.

I have a spare trans that was built for my 08 that is being freshened up. It is probably going to be for sale once it’s finished. PM me if you’d be interested in that.

Extended Power

Reaction score
I also snapped a 300m shaft at around 800hp. I have a customers truck with a twin turbo 6.0 that has went through 2-3 of warrens pumps in very little time. I wasn’t involved in any of the trans specs so I can’t comment on what the build was.

I have a spare trans that was built for my 08 that is being freshened up. It is probably going to be for sale once it’s finished. PM me if you’d be interested in that.

I literally am just looking for something that lets me drive my truck right now.
I have a used one lined up for $500.00
Then I'm gonna take the "built" one apart, and see wtf went south, when I was going north.

Reaction score
You’d be amazed how long a healthy stock trans will live in a 6.0. As long as the 3-5 shift is tuned right they live.

My advice, throw the stock in, ship the blown up one to Andy Warren and let him do his thing. Guy has more R&D in these than anyone else. Also, he has a fix for the pump issues.

Extended Power

Reaction score
You’d be amazed how long a healthy stock trans will live in a 6.0. As long as the 3-5 shift is tuned right they live.

My advice, throw the stock in, ship the blown up one to Andy Warren and let him do his thing. Guy has more R&D in these than anyone else. Also, he has a fix for the pump issues.

Sounds like a plan to me.
Going to pick up the stock one soon, just dealing with a family matter right now.

Maniacal_Mark

Reaction score
I'd love to try a Warren Diesel transmission....I mean...if it can hold the power Jesse is making, it utta hold what my truck makes easily.

I just don't know what's best...
Some use Raybestos, some use Alto...
Some use a 4 pinion OD planetary, others have a 5 pinion option.
Some use billet 300, while the better, I've heard, is the Aeromet input shafts.

Don't know if I should just buy parts, and get it built here at home, or drive it down with a used transmission, and get a company to swap it out for me in the States.

The price I've seen for the competition transmission from Suncoast, is $10818.00
So Tac on another 30-35% to that price, and you start to see where I'm getting stuck with just letting the truck sit....

The oil patch ain't what it use ta be....[/QUOTE]

That ain't no $hit

Extended Power

Reaction score
Picked up the used transmission yesterday.
Only a 6 hour drive. (3 hours there, then back.)
Poor little Exploder has never had anything so heavy in the back...

Extended Power

Reaction score
Finally got the transmission pulled out.
What a P.I.T.A. that was by myself...

Second guessing installing a used stock transmission....I have no idea if it's good...just the guys word that it was ok.
And it's sure a pile of work to have to do all this work again...
Gonna call the shop that originally built it, and see what it may cost, worst case scenario.

DieselJpower

Reaction score
You can easily get by with the stock unit if it's not trashed already. I was running my bone stock 200k+ 5r with a similar setup to you in a full fuel tune sending it daily. If you don't go crazy, it will get you by.

Extended Power

Reaction score
I'm getting a local mechanics shop to ship it back to NADP on Tuesday.
Spoke to Craig yesterday, and he was able to find the invoice for it. (October 2013)
It is a Race Series, so most of the parts should be reusable...hopefully just new clutches and steels. He also mentioned they switched to Raybestos GPZ clutches in the Race Series.

I will send my new DPC converter up to them, so it can all be run in on their dyno before it gets shipped back to me.

I have no idea what's wrong with the transmission, as there were no codes. (I used my SCT, Autoingenuity software, and the CTS2 to looks for trouble codes.)
It's just locked in 5th gear for a forward gear, but reverse seems to work ok.

Extended Power

Reaction score
Well, change of plans again.
Sending it out to a different company...Iconic Driveline Solutions.
Long story...not worth the time to tell it here.

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
I have no idea what's wrong with the transmission, as there were no codes. (I used my SCT, Autoingenuity software, and the CTS2 to looks for trouble codes.)
It's just locked in 5th gear for a forward gear, but reverse seems to work ok.

Doubt you've had time to screw with it, but any chance you figured out what is causing this? My "built" transmission is doing the EXACT same thing. Seems stuck in some higher gear, but reverse seems to run fine, but it does jerk REALLY hard when going from park to reverse or drive, like the converter is 100% locked at idle.

Extended Power

Reaction score
No news as of yet.
I called last friday and asked if he had a chance to look at it...he said it's in line to be done, but I haven't heard anything.
I'm sure he will tell me exactly what happened for damage, but we both agree that because I was changing programs over, and over, and over again, it played a heavy factor in destroying the transmission. (Two years of trying different tunes from different vendors, trying to get the hybrid injectors to work properly.)
This is why I commented in another thread saying that I want to junk every tune I have right now, and start over...clean slate.

Extended Power

Reaction score
Called the shop today.
The fella doing the work said that the direct clutches were buggered up, and the trans was in limp mode...which is 4th gear.

If the light on my tow/haul worked, I probably could have seen it flash, but the light hasn't worked for some time now.

I bought a new column shifter with the tow/haul button to completely replace the old one.

I'm still curious as to why none of the scan tools I have, picked up any codes for the transmission.
This includes: Auto Enginuity, SCT 3, and my CTS2.

sootie

Reaction score
You need to get familiar with FORScan. Very powerful free diagnostic tool...

Extended Power

Reaction score
Got my transmission back from the shop today.
It was done over a week ago, but I've been working, and no time to pick it up.

Direct clutches were burnt up.
All new Raybestos GPZ clutches installed.
With shipping, it was $3K.

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
Mine is in the shop right now. I am suspect that my direct drive clutch pack is trashed too...I had been having a random/intermittent issue where it would go into limp mode on me when traveling at freeway speeds, so I limped around for a while (not my DD) just keeping to surface streets and under 55mph. But finally, it got stuck in limp mode, or like you said, 4th gear, and shifting from park to reverse or drive shocked the whole drivetrain BADLY!

We'll see what the shop says today.

Latest posts

Members online