Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > Non - Specific > Welding & Fabrication Forum

Old 01-17-2016, 04:11 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Yes that would be preferable, but not a necessity.

2003 F-350 CCLB, Frame off restoration in progress

2002 F-250 ECLB, Parts hauler

2002 Excursion, Twin hauler
Old 01-17-2016, 04:49 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

I would strongly advise having power feeds, even if you are just beginning. Cranking and cranking is no fun especially if you want to surface a head or exhaust manifold. If you want a serious dedicated mill i would go with a kearney trecker, cincinnati, or something similar. Those machines also have better power feed systems that will do better than the bridgeport style servo powerfeeds. I run a kearney & trecker 2hl vertical. I seriously advise you to check out kearney trecker machines. The only downfall to kearney trecker machines is they are not DRO friendly. K&t machines also have powerfeeds on every axis from the factory. Prices will be similar between KT and bridgeport, except with the k&t you get 3x the mill.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:18 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwunter View Post
I would strongly advise having power feeds, even if you are just beginning. Cranking and cranking is no fun especially if you want to surface a head or exhaust manifold. If you want a serious dedicated mill i would go with a kearney trecker, cincinnati, or something similar. Those machines also have better power feed systems that will do better than the bridgeport style servo powerfeeds. I run a kearney & trecker 2hl vertical. I seriously advise you to check out kearney trecker machines. The only downfall to kearney trecker machines is they are not DRO friendly. K&t machines also have powerfeeds on every axis from the factory. Prices will be similar between KT and bridgeport, except with the k&t you get 3x the mill.
I will look into the K&T machines. It would be nice to have power feed on all 3 axis but figured that would be out of my price range. This is more of a hobby machine for me.

What do you mean DRO?

Old 01-18-2016, 04:35 AM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Digital Read Out
Old 01-18-2016, 04:10 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

I'm partial to bridgeport's since they were made right by me.
I have two a 1966 j head

And a 1956 round ram.
old antiquated pos with some crap bw s467 fmw,irate rr/full fuel system,full force 350/200 injectors,irate SS gated t4 mount,arp studs,smith bro push rods,comp 910's, gen3, twin ipr's, ams1000 with co2, champion built 4r100,tuned by bill, etc
Old 01-18-2016, 04:56 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

What's the difference between a round head and j head?

Old 01-18-2016, 05:41 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

I believe a round ram would be an "m head". They are typically older than a "j head" and not as robust as a j head. But thats if i recall correctly.....

Also one method ive used to move this type of equipment is a good heavy crane truck. The local propane company i have connections with. Simply sling the mill/lathe/etc and set it on the crane truck and strap it down. Ive successfully moved several with this fashion.

Last edited by gwunter; 01-18-2016 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:50 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

Depending on what you want to build you may also look into finding a Bridgeport setup with a Prototrak which is a CNC. I have made plenty off parts with a J head prototrak equipped. The programming is simple conversational programming that any dumby can figure out to program. Prototrak also has DRO mode. DRO just displays positioning. I see Bridgeport with the early prototacks go all the time for 4-5K
97-250 7.3 Eaton TVS Supercharged, S369sxe, R&D IDI performance T4 mount, my B350/200s, Honey Badger SR with My tunes, BMW M3 seats, Sky 5" RSK skyjacker drop pivot brackets, Sky shackles and hangers, Toyo M/T

1948 GMC Detroit 453T - 1945 Chevy C30 GM 451 - 1951 Mack A51T under restoration

Last edited by superpsd; 01-18-2016 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:31 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwunter View Post
I believe a round ram would be an "m head". They are typically older than a "j head" and not as robust as a j head. But thats if i recall correctly.....

Also one method ive used to move this type of equipment is a good heavy crane truck. The local propane company i have connections with. Simply sling the mill/lathe/etc and set it on the crane truck and strap it down. Ive successfully moved several with this fashion.
Mine is a late round ram with a j head but the older round ram's had a m head. The whole base is smaller and less rigid. For a home shop if I found one for the right price and it wasn't so worn out it was junk i would pick one up. I wouldn't want a j head though. All the older ones will have some amount of wear on the ways and screws. some much more than others though.
old antiquated pos with some crap bw s467 fmw,irate rr/full fuel system,full force 350/200 injectors,irate SS gated t4 mount,arp studs,smith bro push rods,comp 910's, gen3, twin ipr's, ams1000 with co2, champion built 4r100,tuned by bill, etc
Old 01-18-2016, 08:34 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

round ram. The later round rams don't have that knuckle like mine and are a little stiffer.
https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...hspart=mozilla
and this is a dove tail ram.
https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...hspart=mozilla