Bed plate oil leaks

superduty4x4

Reaction score
I had my new to me 05 into the dealer for an open recall earlier this week, and they did a courtesty inspection of the truck and said it has "multiple oil leaks, appears to be the bed plate." Is this a common issue on these or is there a possible problem elsewhere? I'm not sure if maybe they were just seeing a high dollar cab-off repair bill or were actually being straight with me. I'm hoping to get under the truck this weekend with some degreaser and clean up all the old residue so I can isolate the leak(s) better.

webb06

Reaction score
I had my new to me 05 into the dealer for an open recall earlier this week, and they did a courtesty inspection of the truck and said it has "multiple oil leaks, appears to be the bed plate." Is this a common issue on these or is there a possible problem elsewhere? I'm not sure if maybe they were just seeing a high dollar cab-off repair bill or were actually being straight with me. I'm hoping to get under the truck this weekend with some degreaser and clean up all the old residue so I can isolate the leak(s) better.

Mileage? Overall I’d say it’s pretty common. Usually not a big enough leak for someone to pay thousands of dollars to get it fixed though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mstng5point0

Reaction score
Mine had a bed plate leak for quite a while. I leave if for now cause its not to bad and it just seems to go onto the front u-joint on the front driveshaft.

The transmission and flex plate have to come out the do it. I sure is going to be rather expensive cause i think book time is something like 6 or 7 hours.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Bedplates are fairly common to leak, but as webb06 said, it typically isnt a huge leak. However, front covers leakimg due run down the bedplate fairly often, and i have seen several times where the front cover gasket will basically blow out where it seals to the bedplate, and that leak you can watch piss out.

And mstng5point0 is way off on the time, motor has to come out, and basically get torn down to reseal a bedplate. It is more like 25-30 hours, i cant remember off the top of my head.

mstng5point0

Reaction score
Bedplates are fairly common to leak, but as webb06 said, it typically isnt a huge leak. However, front covers leakimg due run down the bedplate fairly often, and i have seen several times where the front cover gasket will basically blow out where it seals to the bedplate, and that leak you can watch piss out.

And mstng5point0 is way off on the time, motor has to come out, and basically get torn down to reseal a bedplate. It is more like 25-30 hours, i cant remember off the top of my head.

Whoops. Sorry i was thinking the rear plate was also called a bed plate.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Mileage? Overall I’d say it’s pretty common. Usually not a big enough leak for someone to pay thousands of dollars to get it fixed though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently 108,300 and change. There's definitely evidence of some sort of a leak on the rear of the block and the bellhousing that I noticed when changing the oil but I didn't investigate it.

Latest posts

Members online