94.5 OBS problem

Petro

Reaction score
Alright guys, im lookin at a 94 Powerstroke, Regular cab long box 5 speed with 178,000 miles on it. The guy wants 2000 for the truck and its actually pretty clean looking, all power locks and windows, not much rust. The catch is the truck will start right up and run for a few seconds and then die. I havent been there to look at it yet but the owner says it doesnt smoke, it just starts runs for a few seconds and dies. He said he thought it was a CPS but that doesnt sound like a CPS problem to me. He said it doesnt smoke just starts and dies. That all the info i have for right now until i get there to look at it later today. Does that sound like a cps to you guys or what else should i look for? If it isnt anything major i think that is a pretty good price. Thanks in advance
Dillon

kadeninabnitt

Reaction score
Mine was doing that and come to find out the uvch on the passenger side was bad it would run like a top for a few seconds then it would miss and die.

Tom S

Reaction score
I think I would take a chance on the truck for a price like that. Do you have any diagnostic tools to talk along with you?

Petro

Reaction score
alright ill pull the valve covers and make sure everything is plugged in correctly and get back to you guys on what happens

Petro

Reaction score
well i paid 1700 for it, couldnt get it to start, fired and wanted to run but gave up for the nite, didnt try real hard and he said it hasnt run for several months. He said when it did run, it would start, run for almost a minute and just die, no sputter or miss just die. Does that still sound like uvch ? And another thing, it doesnt say powerstroke, it just says turbo diesel so it the model right before the powerstroke, not an idi but not a powerstroke if that matters at all. Ill get it home tomorrow and start tearin into it, gona put new glow plugs in it and a new GPR and pull the valve covers.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Well... its either a Power Stroke or an IDI. There's nothing in between. In 94 you could get an IDI non-turbo, an IDI turbo, and the Power Stroke. The Power Stroke was only available with a 5 speed. The IDI looks completely different than the PSD, since you own a 99 you should have an idea of what the PSD looks like...

Denver

Reaction score
Sounds like a fuel problem. Does the truck have fuel in it? That would be the simplest fix but if its not that i'de check to make sure there is fuel in the bowl. Maybe the fuel pump went out? If the fuel system is good then I'de look into the electrical for injectors and the HPOP system. Hell it could even be low on oil and the HPOP isn't getting enough oil to stay running. As for the badges 94.5 was the first year of the Powerstroke and many 94's with powerstrokes made it outta the factory with the Turbo diesel badge for the IDI but it is indeed a powerstroke under the hood.

Petro

Reaction score
i know what a powerstroke looks like, ive owned 3 7.3 psds and it is the powerstroke, says direct injection turbo diesel on top the motor and on the valve cover it says 215 hp DIT but on the sides of the truck it says turbo diesel.

Petro

Reaction score
Alright well when i get it home tomorow ill check the fuel and oil along with the uvch connections. When we were tryin to start it i gave it one quick shot of starting fluid ( i know that isnt good ) and it fired right away. So im thinking somthing with fuel also.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
i know what a powerstroke looks like, ive owned 3 7.3 psds and it is the powerstroke, says direct injection turbo diesel on top the motor and on the valve cover it says 215 hp DIT but on the sides of the truck it says turbo diesel.
Just one of the nuances of the 94.5 PSD...

Petro

Reaction score
i was surprised when i seen the turbo diesel badges on it, it had me worried that i drove forty miles to look at an IDI until i popped the hood and seen direct injection turbo in big letters, didnt want that junk sittin in my driveway

Tom S

Reaction score
Using starting fluid in all reality only means it has good compression when you think about it. Good luck with getting it running.

Petro

Reaction score
well got it home yesterday, it was low on oil and the fuel bowl was empty. Went to town picked up oil and five gallons of fuel, put 6 quarts in it beofre it was even on the dipstick, put fuel in her, primed it, cranked for 30 seconds and it fired right up. So i bought a 94 powerstroke with 173,000 miles for 1700 dollars that was just low on oil and out of diesel. Lol probably the best investment i have ever made

Tom S

Reaction score
That is a good one. How dumb was this prevous owner?

Last edited:

Petro

Reaction score
ha ya he wasnt very intelligent, he said it has sat for over 6 months and just didnt have time to work on it. After it was running i sent him a text that said "Got it running . . . . . . it was out of diesel" lol all he could say was great. i bet i spent a total of 20 minutes getting it running and then 2 hours booze cruising in it. One of the best buys i have ever made hands down

Petro

Reaction score
What would it take to switch to a Superduty turbo? I have a SD turbo sittin around and my obs turbo is shot, Do i just need to change up Pipes and the pedestal? And can i use the obs compressor wheel in the SD turbo to help with surge, i think ive heard this is the same as a WW but not sure.
Thanks

brewer

Reaction score
Good deal. Many 94's are badged as "Turbo Diesels" even though they're PSD's.

Yep, OBS wheel is the WW. Pedistal and up pipes are all you need to change unless you go with bellowed up pipes, in which you'll need a SD driver's side exhaust manifold.

Latest posts

Members online