Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > Non - Specific > Welding & Fabrication Forum

Old 09-15-2017, 09:30 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8WR_ZJ View Post
Ive got a printer this should fit on it. I can do one for you. Jacain what is the native file for that turbo 2d wireframe?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
It's a jpg. I'll see if I can find another type like png. I think Adobe has a product with good trace functionality that can be used on jpg if SW has issues.

Last edited by ja_cain; 09-15-2017 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:32 AM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

I can use a jpg. I will bring it into autocad and run the trace routine. Then open it in inventor and start. Are there frame sizes for each class of turbo? Like is the 472 and the 478 the same size?

Old 09-16-2017, 07:50 AM
General
Member's Gallery

For the Borgs, the frame size is dictated by the first number, all S400s chargers (467.7, 480, 488 etc) are the same frame regardless of compressor or cover. However depending on what cover you buy (standard or race), that changes external dimensions on that side of the turbo.

That other thing that may pose a challenge when 3d printing is orientation of the cover. Almost never are the turbos installed the way they come out of the box. It takes clocking to get it just right. NOW if you could 3d print to haves that mate using the v band clamp that comes on the turbo, that would be the cat's meow for mockup purposes!
Old 09-16-2017, 09:33 AM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

That would absolutely be ideal, but Im sure that would also drive the price up.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:40 AM
Major
Member's Gallery

Could you import and trace the everything but say the compressor wheel and cover? That way you could attach a real cover onto the 3D printed version with a v band. Would allow you to clock the cover how you need it when building

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2017, 01:09 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Making it in 2 halves is not that big of a deal. I would have to use a little better base plastic to handle the load of the clamp. I also think this would be a better choice to handle to abuse and movement of mocking up the tubing. I wish I could get my hands on a turbo. I could use my faro to laser scan it in two halves then i could have these parts ready to print in under 5 minutes. Anyone close to 70611 area code. I am mobile so a 30 meet up would be all thats needed.

Old 09-16-2017, 02:26 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

I just sold my 467.7 or I could have just mailed it to you just so we could have had the frame to go off of at least. Dang it man.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:07 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
I can use a jpg. I will bring it into autocad and run the trace routine. Then open it in inventor and start. Are there frame sizes for each class of turbo? Like is the 472 and the 478 the same size?

Cool. I have Inventor, but not Autocad.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:10 PM
General
Member's Gallery

Not sure if the exhaust housings change outside dimension based on a/r though...
Obviously t4 and t6 would be different from each other but I'm not sure if the different a/r's for each would be different
Old 09-16-2017, 06:15 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Making it in 2 halves is not that big of a deal. I would have to use a little better base plastic to handle the load of the clamp. I also think this would be a better choice to handle to abuse and movement of mocking up the tubing. I wish I could get my hands on a turbo. I could use my faro to laser scan it in two halves then i could have these parts ready to print in under 5 minutes. Anyone close to 70611 area code. I am mobile so a 30 meet up would be all thats needed.

That's awesome man! I wish we were close as I would love to collaborate! Lol! One of the machine shops I work with is thinking about eventually getting a metal printer. The only problem is that there isn't really good support yet. He does a lot of work for Northrop Grumman and NASA.