E-locker or Truetrac?

greyford1979

Reaction score
Well I have finally decided to swap out the limited slip in my F250. I've been debating now for weeks and can't make up my mind lol. I know a lot of people run the Truetrac and love them, but have been also looking at swapping an E-locker out of the 2011 and up trucks into mine. I know I'll lose the speedo when engaged, but it would only be when I'm off the pavement any ways. I can get the locker through work for close to half the cost of the Truetrac. No hardcore offroading obviously, but trying to do more trails throughout the year including going back to Colorado and also Moab next year. Wanting to do Fins n things, Dome Plateau and some others when out there. For those that have the E-locker, any durability and reliability issues? I don"t wanna get the Truetrac and then wish I would've gotten the locker or vice versa if something happens to the locker lol. Just so hard to make a decision. Also a full time locker is out of the question, my brother had a Detroit locker in his old truck and didn't care for it too much on the road. Haven't had any experience with either of the other options.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
A truetrac will take one hell of a beating. The e locker for the 11+ aren't designed for more than factory horse power and low rpm..

live life full throttle

sootie

Reaction score
Truetrac hands down. E-locker is weak as stated, and unlocks over 15 mph.
Your bad experience with a locker will be erased with a truetrac. Acts normal unless throttle is applied. Locks the same was every time. Pavement friendly etc.

greyford1979

Reaction score
Yeah that was my biggest worry with the factory Elocker was the durability. I know there's a big difference between Jeep guys running the Sterling rear axles with the Elockers and an F250 with a lot more power than a Jeep lol. I was leaning towards the Truetrac, but when I found out how cheap I could get the Elocker, I started having second thoughts lol. Thanks for chiming in fellas.

greyford1979

Reaction score
Could always lincolnlock it. Lol

live life full throttle

lol

Forgot to ask, anyone use the G2 master install kits? We've always used the Yukon master install kits, but looks like the G2 kit comes with Timken bearings as well, but for about a $100 less than the others that come with Timkens.

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
I have grizzly lockers in the front and back of my off-road rig. The grizzly is a little clunky on the street and it adds quite a bit of roll when you put it in park. In the front I wish I would have put a selectable locker or limited slip in the front though. I had the e locker in a 2011 truck I had and I didn’t care much for it in the rear because you have to remember to turn them on and off and too may times I would get to a soft spot or something and by the time I hit the locker I was stuck. I would much rather have one that is ready to go all the time. But on the front I like selectable for sure because the times you need all 4 grabbing are a lot less often.

TD-5

Reaction score
I put a Yukon grizzly locker in the back & a Trutrac in the front of my 2010 F350. I have had them in now for 36000 miles running 4:10s & 37x13.5x20 tires. The Trutrac up front is very well mannered & I cant fault it at all, especially for a front drive axle. The grizzly is well mannered 99% of the time, with no ratcheting or clunking while cornering, However 1/2 dozen times since I installed it, it will momentarily unlock while starting off with a loud bang. Scares the **** out of me. The other thing that's quite noticeable while on the highway on cruise control is when cresting a hill & going from throttle "on" to throttle "off" the truck will softly lurch a couple times as it transitions thru the added lash of the locker. I tuned most of it out Using H&S MCC & the Anti-Jerk logic Parameter, but I can still feel it.

greyford1979

Reaction score
I have grizzly lockers in the front and back of my off-road rig. The grizzly is a little clunky on the street and it adds quite a bit of roll when you put it in park. In the front I wish I would have put a selectable locker or limited slip in the front though. I had the e locker in a 2011 truck I had and I didn’t care much for it in the rear because you have to remember to turn them on and off and too may times I would get to a soft spot or something and by the time I hit the locker I was stuck. I would much rather have one that is ready to go all the time. But on the front I like selectable for sure because the times you need all 4 grabbing are a lot less often.

I put a Yukon grizzly locker in the back & a Trutrac in the front of my 2010 F350. I have had them in now for 36000 miles running 4:10s & 37x13.5x20 tires. The Trutrac up front is very well mannered & I cant fault it at all, especially for a front drive axle. The grizzly is well mannered 99% of the time, with no ratcheting or clunking while cornering, However 1/2 dozen times since I installed it, it will momentarily unlock while starting off with a loud bang. Scares the **** out of me. The other thing that's quite noticeable while on the highway on cruise control is when cresting a hill & going from throttle "on" to throttle "off" the truck will softly lurch a couple times as it transitions thru the added lash of the locker. I tuned most of it out Using H&S MCC & the Anti-Jerk logic Parameter, but I can still feel it.

Yeah that's why I'm thinking about a True trac for the rear for now, and then eventually doing a selectable locker in the front. And yeah even though it doesn't happen all the time with a full time locker, I don't care for the few times that they do clunk or bang on you lol. I know my brother's other F250 he had with the Detroit locker in the rear, scared the living crap out of him on more than one occasion lol.

sootie

Reaction score
Yeah that's why I'm thinking about a True trac for the rear for now, and then eventually doing a selectable locker in the front. And yeah even though it doesn't happen all the time with a full time locker, I don't care for the few times that they do clunk or bang on you lol. I know my brother's other F250 he had with the Detroit locker in the rear, scared the living crap out of him on more than one occasion lol.

Full lockers are incredibly dangerous in the snow also

fastersteve

Reaction score
Are the Truetracks noisy? My Ex has become peg legged. Feeling pretty tepid about rebuilding the stocker but don't want something I'm going to hear all the time.

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
They are dead silent. Then again, I've had pretty good luck with 2x different factory TrakLoks that work very well. My 06 Dana 80 took 3oz of friction modifier to get it to stop locking up in low speed turns, even after using gear oil with limited slip additive already in it.

greyford1979

Reaction score
Well, decided to buy a Trutrac. I was going to wait till spring to pick one up, but they are on sale right now. And if I wait they will probably end up going up in price knowing my luck lol.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Well, decided to buy a Trutrac. I was going to wait till spring to pick one up, but they are on sale right now. And if I wait they will probably end up going up in price knowing my luck lol.
You won't regret it my man!! That is what bigr ran in Godzilla in both axles if i recall.... they are stout

live life full throttle

greyford1979

Reaction score
Finally got this damn thing installed lol. So far so good, running nice and smooth. I ended up getting a new ring and pinion as well since I was gonna have it out and mine have close to 350,000 miles on them. Always had the slightest vibration on takeoff I couldn't get rid of, and now it's gone. Thinking the pinion was the culprit. Got rid of the crush sleeve as well. Might rebuild the old limited slip and just keep it a backup.

Latest posts

Members online