LPOP specs?

DZL JIM

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the output is of the stock low pressure oil pump?
Like gpm at given rpm?
I've been searching for days and got nothing.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Got this

M
29C083AE-FC60-4E72-9983-F557EE6F26D2.png

BS Hauler

Reaction score
There is a company that makes an after market pump. It is supposed to be bigger. Call them and I bet they can tell you.

Zeb

Reaction score
There is a company that makes an after market pump. It is supposed to be bigger. Call them and I bet they can tell you.

That would be DieselSite.
I’ve often wondered how they know it’s a high volume pump, when they claim not to know how much the stock pump flows.......

Don’t quote me on this, but for some reason 18 gpm sticks in my mind for the flow on the stock lpop, at 3,200 rpm.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
FWIW, the stock oil pump is wide but small gear lopes. The meling pump is narrower but big Lopes. The Diesel site pump is wide and has big gear lopes.

Zeb

Reaction score
FWIW, the stock oil pump is wide but small gear lopes. The meling pump is narrower but big Lopes. The Diesel site pump is wide and has big gear lopes.

I don’t doubt that the DieselSite pump flows more, I just wish there were some numbers instead of “trust me, it’s more”.

DZL JIM

Reaction score
I have no issue with Dieselsite holding that info. I bet they know, just protecting their work.
I don't go by "trust me it's more", the proof is in the product. It really is a nice upgrade.

Reaction score
I have no issue with Dieselsite holding that info. I bet they know, just protecting their work.
I don't go by "trust me it's more", the proof is in the product. It really is a nice upgrade.

Just curious, is your stock pump not keeping up with demand?

I ran a melling with no noticeable changes.

I recall a thread that got pretty in depth with them, but it was years ago. I’ll try and find it.

Zeb

Reaction score

I understand them wanting/needing to protect their work, but I guess I just like having numbers to compare.

DZL JIM

Reaction score
Just curious, is your stock pump not keeping up with demand?
I ran a melling with no noticeable changes.
I recall a thread that got pretty in depth with them, but it was years ago. I’ll try and find it.

It's for my drag car, I'm building a dry sump system and I need to know the stock output so that I can size a pump properly.
I'd like to thank Corey Hurtt at CNC Fab, Brian Gray at Gray's Diesel Perf., and Matt Kubik at Cutting Edge Diesel for some very valuable help with this.

Zeb

Reaction score
It's for my drag car, I'm building a dry sump system and I need to know the stock output so that I can size a pump properly.
I'd like to thank Corey Hurtt at CNC Fab, Brian Gray at Gray's Diesel Perf., and Matt Kubik at Cutting Edge Diesel for some very valuable help with this.

Were they able to get you the numbers you needed?
Is it info you can share?

DZL JIM

Reaction score
I still have not gotten any pump info, but those guys have been very willing to answer my questions on pumps and dry sumps and I just wanted to thank them.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

Right on! Good to hear they are helping out!

live life full throttle

gnxtc2

Reaction score
I still have not gotten any pump info, but those guys have been very willing to answer my questions on pumps and dry sumps and I just wanted to thank them.

When I was at PRI, I was BSing with the engineers at Melling. We got onto the subject of the 7.3 oil pump. The guy I was speaking with was involved with the development of it and knew a lot about it. Forgot his name. I would try calling Melling.

Here found the info:
https://www.powerstrokenation.com/f...et-performance/659-melling-vs-oem-lpop-4.html

Below 2500 rpm the flow rate is as good as or slightly better than a stock pump.
Above 2500 rpm the flow rate is increased over the stock pump.
Above 3500 rpm the flow rate is 10% more than stock.

At test rpm of 700 rpm , 7 gpm
At test rpm of 4000 rpm , 25gpm

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

jbolen323

Reaction score
updating this since I have been fighting this with a few well name builders and tuners. I have actually lost my 2nd set of terminator pumps in the past 6 months. I am running back on a stock lpop gear and about to throw back on the melling again to see if I notice increase in pressures, which I don't think but usually more volume is known. There has been a few people have notice the melling "sucks"

I have my analog gauge literally left on my truck and watching things, I notice I am 10-13psi on idle and upwards to 60+ with revs & driving. With the twins I was just a tad over 10psi at idle and same thing upward to 60+ and usually holding around 30-40psi in a wot pull.

I believe I found somewhere that the rule of thumb is 10psi per 1000rpms and its pretty fair to say minus a few things. Carson stauffer just came out with a billet lpop melling or similar as well for $400.

shoot me a PM if you wanna share data or anything, I am tapped into my block directly by oil cooler as well.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.