Warm up/shut down

SurfCity

Reaction score
New to diesel's....may be a dumb question. Prior to ****ting down I idle for about 4 minutes until the oil temp drops below 200......starting up in the morning I let it run for 5 minutes before I leave. Is this necessary? It drives my impatient wife nuts but this investment (2011 lariet) needs to last a long time!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

SurfCity

Reaction score
I guess shutting down is a bad word......or did I type ****ting?.darn little keyboard!

Shootingstar

Reaction score
It's a good idea it let them cool down after a extended run if the temps are above normal. Say if you are pulling and just came off the highway. Otherwise it's not needed.
As far as start up again use common since if you live in a neighborhood where you are cruising at low speeds leaving. Then just go and drive easy. If you live right next to a major road where you pull out and have to hammer on it to get to highway speed right away then a little warm up won't hurt.
This isn't set in stone just my opinion.

Pstroke96

Reaction score
i know my 7.3 is a different animal but i usually wait for the plugs to turn off then ill take off but ill go easy until shes up to temp. dont know if the new trucks come with a pyro but i wait till mine gets down to 300 degrees which is usually about 30 seconds to a mimute before shutting it down

6.0dirtworker

Reaction score
Your doing it the smart way, but a smarter way would be to invest in a alarm with a remote start and a turbo timer. Start the truck from your remote when getting out of bed in the morning, and its ready and warm when you walk out the door.

And when your done with a long drive, take your key out and go inside and the timer will let it cool down and shut off on it's own when the temps are in a safe range. Saves you time and shuts your wife up, no offense lol.

Last edited:

WoodBoy

Reaction score
As i pull in the drive, i always kill my A/c, it helps with my EGT's and they get down fairly quick.

Coltaine

Reaction score
When I had my 7.3 I'd let it idle while I cleared the ice and snow off it. Other then that I just took it easy.. Shouldn't be much different for the 6.7. On my current beater I just fire her up and let her rip, but shes an old lady LOL

Sent from my GT-I9103

17BLKplat

Reaction score
I'll put on my flame suit for this one-
I never idle, start up or shut down. In the winter I'll let it idle for maybe a minute, but shut down is just that, turn the key back and walk away. I don't jump in the truck and lay it to the floor, but you can feel when the truck is ready.
Did this with my built 6.0 and never saw an issue. I personally think wait time is just killing time.

Dealer even told me that with these new 6.7s you don't have to worry about any idling, hot or cold, just drive it and enjoy.

Just my 2 cents.

Atsah

Reaction score
I allways let it warmup for ten minutes and let it idle a couple of minutes after driving locally.. If I have been on the turnpike, I let it idle maybe five minutes longer..

quicksilver11

Reaction score
I never bothered idling down my dodge when it was stock, or mom's dmax, or my 6.7. Warming up I just get in and take it easy until the t-stat opens and then let her go.

SurfCity

Reaction score
What is the normal engine oil temp supposed to be? Mine doesnt ever get above 205f.....seems kind of cold blooded....

WoodBoy

Reaction score
What is the normal engine oil temp supposed to be? Mine doesnt ever get above 205f.....seems kind of cold blooded....

Hah it should be around 198 or so unloaded depending on your driving conditions.. Im not sure that mine has ever been over 200 more than 2 or 3 times

Latest posts

Members online