Fel pro head gaskets AND O rings=problem?

SLYTAPEX

Reaction score
NY, not the urban cesspool, the part that sticks o
That's it. I'm hearing yes and no. I want to know if I need to take the heads off and change the gaskets before I put the engine in the truck. This topic seems to be popping up frequently and I want to try to put it to bed with the help of those more knowledgeable and experienced than myself.

Zmann

Reaction score
I have seen one or two hearsay post but no substantiation of the Felpro being cut by the O-Ring
and when discussed I suggested as did others that the problem may very well be the O-ring depth / groove in head to shallow

subscribed for real facts

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
If the deck of the block isn't flat it won't matter what you do, nothing will hold. If you want to gaurantee it will hold deck the block

SLYTAPEX

Reaction score
NY, not the urban cesspool, the part that sticks o
If the deck of the block isn't flat it won't matter what you do, nothing will hold. If you want to gaurantee it will hold deck the block

It is. Everything in this engine is high quality as is all the machine work. I'm worried about if 265 lbs of torqued stud is going to play nice with my o ringed heads & fel pros.

Zmann

Reaction score
I doubt any 6.0 gasket MFG would endorse the use of an O-ring since they never test for them

KCTurbos

Reaction score
I went ahead and took a chance and ran Felpro with orings on my truck. Made it 40,000 miles beating the HECK out of the truck. Multiple track runs, 100s of dyno runs, towing 15k up to the mountains on a race tune. Vgt, non-vgt, compounds, etc... Pushing around 650-700hp

I had to pull the motor because I had a random crank bearing go bad. BUT the heads did not even leak a little bit. Gaskets looked like new when I pulled them.

Before I pulled the motor I check for degas pressure on the dyno. I got the truck up to operating temps, released the pressure from the coolant heating up. Then put the cap back on and run a bunch of heavy loaded dyno runs. After about 1 hr of beating on the truck I went and pulled the degas bottle and there was almost zero presure, just a little tiny hiss when pulling it off.

Moral of the story... I had great luck and would recommend them to anyone

KCTurbos

Reaction score
I have heard rumors behind closed doors that if you have too much oring protrusion with the felpro gaskets, then it can possibly cut through the gasket. I was running .008 oring protrusion... I heard rumors that .011 was cutting gaskets so it is a fine line.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I have heard rumors behind closed doors that if you have too much oring protrusion with the felpro gaskets, then it can possibly cut through the gasket. I was running .008 oring protrusion... I heard rumors that .011 was cutting gaskets so it is a fine line.

^This, i think too much protrusion would be the issue with any mls gasket, as they dont compress really like the old school cardboard style gaskets.

Latest posts