Bye bye RCD stage 1 cam

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
For those that havent read my threads i rebuilt the orinmginal motor in my black 06 a year ago with a bunch of upgrades including an rcd stage 1 cam. Well the truck just never performed like my other 06 (they are identical in weight just different colors. The black truck wouldnt go quicker than 13.6 @ 96 where my white one went 13.23 @ 101 with the same setup and tune (stock injectors & powermax. Well after having a lifter failure in the black truck that required a complete tear down of the motor i decided to throw in a good 03 long block i had and whatta ya know seat if the pants it pulls harder. The tracks closed now but i will run it next year to get a real comparison. My lowend torque is back, truck drives better to. Made 420 with the old motor may hit a dyno locally but im not a big believer in dyno #s

StrokedOutSingleCab

Reaction score
Do you think that the cam was the only variable in this equation? I've never heard of a drop in cam hurting performance.

webb06

Reaction score
From what I’ve heard an 03 cam has a torquier feel from down low. 03 cams are different than the rest as well. They might be what you’re feeling. Interested in the results you find about the rcd cam though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
Do you think that the cam was the only variable in this equation? I've never heard of a drop in cam hurting performance.

You could “drop in” any camshaft that will fit in the hole. There is more stuff to consider before you mess with valve duration. When that guy on “fast and loud” says a cam swap = more speeding tickets he was being funny.

Or maybe he wasnt for all i know.

StrokedOutSingleCab

Reaction score
You could “drop in” any camshaft that will fit in the hole. There is more stuff to consider before you mess with valve duration. When that guy on “fast and loud” says a cam swap = more speeding tickets he was being funny.

Or maybe he wasnt for all i know.

I would hope you understood what I meant in saying "drop in". Just because a 302SBF may "drop in" the hole doesn't mean someone would use it. I would hope someone wouldn't be that much of a dumb a$$ or smart a$$, but what do I know? :poke:

co04cobra

Reaction score
Anyone have specs on the 03 cam vs later? Curious if that is also some of the reasoning for the turbo change after 03.

Extended Power

Reaction score
I thought they had too many complaints with the '03 turbos, so they added more fins on the turbine wheel to make it quieter. (13 instead of 10)

co04cobra

Reaction score
They also changed the size of the vanes, and I believe the size of the exducer is slightly different. Also, the compressor was smaller on 05-07s, possibly some 04s.

Makes me wonder if cam profile change also came into play to move the rpm band along with the turbo changes.

StrokedOutSingleCab

Reaction score
They also changed the size of the vanes, and I believe the size of the exducer is slightly different. Also, the compressor was smaller on 05-07s, possibly some 04s.

Makes me wonder if cam profile change also came into play to move the rpm band along with the turbo changes.

You are correct on the chargers. 03-04 Chargers used slightly bigger wheels than 05-07 chargers. They castings are totally different on those two chargers.

Latest posts

Members online