Loss of power then dies

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
My boss recently bought a 2005 or 2006 excursion. About 2 weeks ago he called and said the truck died and wouldn’t restart. I told him without checking for codes I couldn’t just tell him over the phone what was wrong. He had it taken to the shop, HFCM was bad, so he had a FASS system installed and bypassed HFCM. Jump ahead to yesterday. He tells me the wife was driving and the truck started to lose power and by the time she pulled over it died. Waited a minute or two and it started right back up like normal. Did this 2 or 3 times. Then after that it ran fine. Any idea what could have caused this?

Garrett

sootie

Reaction score
assuming fuel pressure is ok, need to know:
-battery voltage
-FICM voltage
-ICP volts
-IPR %

Dave_Nevada

Reaction score
Where are they getting their fuel?

Hiccups like this can be caused from crappy fuel. Especially in the winter. If that 2005-2006 fuel system hasn't been purged for contaminants, water, rust, etc, intermittent dying can occur. That's 10+ years of fill-ups at God knows where. If your favorite fuel dispenser doesn't have a filter installed at the hose, then you're taking a risk inserting crappy fuel into the equation.

Obviously other electrical/mechanical problems with the fuel system can occur, but I always suspect the simplest stuff first. Especially since you said the HFCM was bypassed.

Clogged injectors/supply lines, all can contribute.

Sort of like how Grandpa gets sent to emergency because he is screaming in pain from his tingling leg. 80 years of eating greasy bacon, fried chicken and gravy took its toll!!!

They got the filter problem fixed, but what about the downline effect (injectors) from all those years of crappy fuel?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online