4.11 Gearing

Merc82

Reaction score
Found a used pull out set of 4.11 gears (front and back) for sale locally for a really good price. Always considered to step up to 4.30s to help maintain the rpm band a lttle higher on the interstate. Would it be worth the step to 4.11s from 3.73s?

1fastTRX

Reaction score
I went from 3.73 to 4.10 (4.11) on my truck running 35" tires. If I was to do it over again I would've gone 4.30s because I tow a fifth wheel with it and want a little more room for my preferred towing speed. I did the swap so it wasn't a big deal labor wise.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

powerlifter405

Reaction score
Found a used pull out set of 4.11 gears (front and back) for sale locally for a really good price. Always considered to step up to 4.30s to help maintain the rpm band a lttle higher on the interstate. Would it be worth the step to 4.11s from 3.73s?

I put 430's in my 7.3 6spd and in retrospect it did just fine what I did w/ 3.73s it and 35's.

I found that 35's and 430s' wound it up a bit too much for hwy as I like to do 5-10 over. 80mph w/ 430s killed my mileage down to 15-16 IIRC.

Before the swap I was getting 18-19 at the same speed.

If you're pulling a trailer you might benefit but even w/ my current setup I pulled around 10k from S. TX up to NE and even stock tuned it ran fine. Using the tow tune was a really big leap.

Just my experience but I'm trying to figure out why you want rpms for the hwy??

good luck

Strokersace

Reaction score
I'm actually going from 4.10s to 3.73s in my 08 dually. It tows awesome no matter what load is behind it. However it's wound too tight for me.

I'm on stock size tires and at most will ever go to a 33. The 3.73 gear ratio and that tire size is a perfect combo behind a tuned 6.4 auto.

bootcamp

Reaction score
I did the 3.73 to 4.10's, on 35's. Wish I had either left it the way it was or went with the 4.30's. But if your hell bent to swap out the gears, take the time and put in a good locker while your in there.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
take the time and put in a good locker while your in there.

I put a detroit-locker no spin when I did my swap and loved it so much when I got my 6.4 I had one put in during a warranty issue. Paid the difference out of pocket but it was well worth it. Detroit tru-tracs are cheaper but at least their helical and are more aggressive than a normal LS but IMHO, No-Spin detroit is the way to go. I'll eventually put one in my 05.

sootie

Reaction score
I put a detroit-locker no spin when I did my swap and loved it so much when I got my 6.4 I had one put in during a warranty issue. Paid the difference out of pocket but it was well worth it. Detroit tru-tracs are cheaper but at least their helical and are more aggressive than a normal LS but IMHO, No-Spin detroit is the way to go. I'll eventually put one in my 05.

Not sure where you are but no spin diffs in snow are lethal.

Latest posts

Members online