(Insert cleaver build thread name here) Build Thread

Stroked777

Reaction score
I figured I should start my build thread, even though it will be a slow build and will hopefully start in a month or so.
The events that lead up to this was my move out to Casper, WY from NY. About 26 hours into the drive and 4 more to go, it was all of a sudden my truck had a bad miss and bluish smoke, got a #5 injector code. The next morning I changed out the injector and as I was doing so I bumped a exhaust valve bridge on #5 and the bridge fell out... That point I knew it was more than an injector. So as much as I didn't want to I had to bring it somewhere to get it fixed, as I wasn't even living at my apartment yet and still in a hotel and worked too much to fix it myself. I brought it to Hallers to have it repaired, and for the record even thought I didn't have it compeletly repaired there they were still an awesome shop to deal with and only wish I had the money to do business with them, anywayd they called me and told me the lifter was destroyed and flattened my cam and cracked my block. At that point I didn't have the money to fixed it so I decided to pick it up and sit on it until I figure out what to do. But now I figured out what I'm going to do, I'm gunna rebuilt the motor in my apartment, or a garage here on the complex of I can rent one. I'm gunna replace and upgrade everything that was ruined, block, pistons, cam, and heads. The parts list is as follows:
HD coated Pistons w/ valve reliefs
Stage 2 cam
Either new block or see if mine can be saved (if the crack isn't bad, maybe?)
New heads
Lifters (upgraded ones)
Zero gap 2nd ring
That covers the engine side, if it's not listed in gunna reuse what I can plus all new bearings. Now this is where is gets fun, it won't happen this year, (I just want to get it running and gather go faster parts first) my goal as of now is to get into four digit Hp range if possible on a single turbo, or close to 4 digits. I say single because I feel it's safe power due to no low end torque. My next question is what would be a good turbo and nozzle match to achieve that, I would even be happy with 900+hp. I know I'm gunna need the basics, duel fuelers, upgraded lift pump etc. but what combo should I go with? What else should I add? Not looking to break the bank but I want to make it hold together.
I am looking forward to this build and can't wait to start it. Shall be fun doing it in an apartment LOL

Stroked777

Reaction score
Yeah I deciding if I should make the thread or not. I am dead set on this build, it just hope no hurdles pop up. This build with pick up momentum when my fiancé lands a job, when I told her that I wanna build the motor and make possibly 1000hp she just smiled and I knew she wants to help too lol. Besides, when the truck is done she will be driving it and I'll be driving the 88 as she doesn't know how to drive stick real good lol. Or I could teach her

stroker221

Reaction score
6.0 manis, HD up pipes, ported intake mani with the dent removed and fuel bowl delete would be idea. But none of it is needed. Just gonna help get exhaust out quicker and also get more air to the rear cylinders.

ncollins64

Reaction score
While your there, I'd go ahead and do 6.0 manis, hd up pipes, gate, and intake. It's not a mandatory up grade but while your there knock it out and you won't ever have to do it again. Just about anything else could always be added down the road.

Stroked777

Reaction score
Yeah decided to say all ford, I said this in another thread but my fiancé said anyone can build a cummins and have high HP, but it's more impressive to see a high HP powerstroke. I think I'll save the 88 for a 12v swap

Black AOD

Reaction score
6.0 manis, HD up pipes, ported intake mani with the dent removed and fuel bowl delete would be idea. But none of it is needed. Just gonna help get exhaust out quicker and also get more air to the rear cylinders.

:whs:

While your there, I'd go ahead and do 6.0 manis, hd up pipes, gate, and intake. It's not a mandatory up grade but while your there knock it out and you won't ever have to do it again. Just about anything else could always be added down the road.

^^^ this as well plus upgraded valve springs and pushrods

Glad you decided not to do the cummins.
I hope it goes smooth for ya.

^^^Agreed :D

sootie

Reaction score
i think the OP already has upgraded valvetrain.

its only my opinion but with Midwest's single turbo kit, dual fueler, 100% nozzles and fuelab lpfs.

then a single turbo similar to what Mike@MPD is running on his truck. a higher stall converter and a BD tapshifter.
you should be mighty close to your goal.

Stroked777

Reaction score
Oh yeah I forgot to mention the bd shifter. Yeah I already have upgraded springs, I sold my push rods so I have to replace those. But I planned on getting Morgan's single kit and doing a billet 66 for now until Im ready to do a bigger turbo and the injectors and pumps

madman1234509

Reaction score
I think 1000hp is going to be tough on a single without spray. You should definitely put 100% nozzles in for what its worth. Many places sell them for the same price as 60s and there is no disadvantage to having the extra fuel on tap if you need it. I say 1000hp will be tough because most guys make mid 900s with a 475 or similar at sea level. You're elevation may hurt you with that big of a single, and you may even have issues getting it to light on a dyno, I'm not sure. Did you say before you're at 4000 feet? Just due to your elevation I'd urge you to do some kind of compound set up. Sure the whole low end torque thing makes sense but many of us running big compounds are doing well with no issues. And non vgt compounds still lack some low end torque of the vgt set ups which help with the safety factor that you mention.

Another thing to contemplate is, the truck is already down.... And you're doing the work yourself. What's it hurt if you wait a little longer to save for some rods. You're already this deep into it, and you may kick yourself in the butt for having the thing completely apart in front of you in your living room and not installing them when you have the chance. In the grand scheme of things it's only a dime in the bucket with a build this big. And you'll spend even more money if you need to tear it apart in the future to do rods because one decided to turn into a pretzel.

Last edited:

Stroked777

Reaction score
Well I'll see what I can get out power wise on a big single. Another thing is all the power adders can wait. I'm getting the engine done first and then the rest can be done cab on. I will probably do a single 66 from the get go

Cknox121

Reaction score
Listen to Wayne. Im kicking my self for not doing rods...

By the way, you will love the single 66. Was one of my favorite setups I ran.

Stroked777

Reaction score
Did your rods go? And 3400 for rods is a good chunk of change, I plan on buying a new block from ford for 4000$ mine is toast, kinda tough to pay almost as much for rods as a block. But I'll have to look into it bow

Latest posts

Members online