P054f normal in cold?

brown1

Reaction score
my truck has thrown a P054f “fuel quanity higher than expected at idol” code several times this winter particularly when very cold. could this be a tuning issue or something deeper? i have weight loss with race pipe and gh tunes through a x4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZCherry27

Reaction score
Ohh I want in on this. I have the same setup as you. I've noticed it more in fresh snow/slushy roads and feels like truck tries power through brakes at stops.

ZCherry27

Reaction score
Mines only happened 2 or 3 times max so didn’t feel the need to start a thread until it became a more consistent issue or in this case seen a thread about it at top of forum

Reaction score
Do you have a 13-14? Sounds like this code is specific to those years only and sounds like it may be an issue with the Ford software from this link I found. Possibly, if the tuner built the original file off of older Ford software on the 13-14, the issue could remain present in their d-elete files as well. You may have to try another custom tune from a different tuner if they are not willing to fix it for you. Just a theory though. Maybe someone else on here with tunes other than GH can chime in if they have had the issue as it seems like multiple people on here are running GH with the problem. Maybe check with Mike at No Limit and he could get you some different tunes to try or try to fix the ones you have. Heres the link I was referencing.

https://ford.oemdtc.com/993/mil-illuminated-with-dtc-p054f-2013-2014-ford-f-super-duty

2014f350

Reaction score
New here, first post... Created an account just for this.

I've been having this issue to, I'm in Northern Alberta and we've regularly seen temp drops to -28C in the last few weeks and a few times in the last few months.

I'm tuned with a Bully Dog and I kept getting this code it ultra low Temps, it would seem to pop on while I was idling at lights. The bully dog has an engine warm up mode that doesn't kick in til 75C. It also goes back into warm up mode below 75C.

I noticed one day at a red that the P054f kicked in at the same time as the engine warm up mode turned back on. I've probably cleared that code a half dozen times before this but had never seen it kick on before, I actually saw the CEL light come on this time. So it got me thinking that as the code means too much fuel maybe it had something to do with the tune kicking out at a certain temp.

I shut off the engine warm up mode last week and haven't seen the code since. It was -27C here today too.

Sorry about the metric, I'm Canadian eh!

Hope this info helps, I'll report back if I see the code again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sportchassis06

Reaction score
New here, first post... Created an account just for this.

I've been having this issue to, I'm in Northern Alberta and we've regularly seen temp drops to -28C in the last few weeks and a few times in the last few months.

I'm tuned with a Bully Dog and I kept getting this code it ultra low Temps, it would seem to pop on while I was idling at lights. The bully dog has an engine warm up mode that doesn't kick in til 75C. It also goes back into warm up mode below 75C.

I noticed one day at a red that the P054f kicked in at the same time as the engine warm up mode turned back on. I've probably cleared that code a half dozen times before this but had never seen it kick on before, I actually saw the CEL light come on this time. So it got me thinking that as the code means too much fuel maybe it had something to do with the tune kicking out at a certain temp.

I shut off the engine warm up mode last week and haven't seen the code since. It was -27C here today too.

Sorry about the metric, I'm Canadian eh!

Hope this info helps, I'll report back if I see the code again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bullydog??Step up to some REAL TUNING

Latest posts

Members online