Tuning 101 - Thread Merged with Injector Posts

Vengeance

Reaction score
ok guys I have been working on tuning my trucks for about a year now and I have a tune for my PMT2 truck that I am getting to a point that I am happy with but I am having trouble with torque converter lock up in 2nd gear. my problem is that if I take off from a dead stop then it locks up how I want it to every time but if I slow down and not come to a complete stop and get back into the throttle then it will not lock up in second until approx. 42 mph. if someone wants to take a look and tell what you think I would greatly appreciate it. a little insight to the truck build list 300/200, dual hpop, S468, 3.73 gears, 35 inch tires

When you say slow down but not stopping, and getting back on it, what gear are you in when you get back on the throttle? 1st or 2nd?

Vengeance

Reaction score
Try this and see if it makes a difference in the lockup.

Attachments

• newcoldstartv1.bin
    256 KB · Views: 74

pwrstrk01

Reaction score
When you say slow down but not stopping, and getting back on it, what gear are you in when you get back on the throttle? 1st or 2nd?

it is still in 2nd thanks for looking at it and working on it I really appreciate it, I will load this up and see what it does and let you know

pwrstrk01

Reaction score
I loaded up the modified tune and did some driving today it is the same I updated the shift points so it was the same as the latest tune I have been running and drove it again and it is the same as my previous tunes. I did some watching things on the scanner and if i take off from a dead stop lock up works great and if i am in 3rd gear and slow down to say 32 mph and get back on the throttle so it down shifts it will down shift and lock up like it suppose to but if i get out of the throttle and stay off it until the truck reaches 24 mph or less and get back in the throttle no lock up until it shifts into 3rd gear.

Attachments

• newcoldstartv1.1.bin
    256 KB · Views: 62

CustomTuning

Reaction score
1999 F350 7.3L catchcode VCQ4 tune

I haven't looked into any of the powerstroke tuning yet & have a friend that I got the stock file off there EEC-V with Kess & wondered if there's much to be gained out of a stock setup with just tuning & whether anyone can give some advice?

Cheers Grant

Attachments

• 99 f-350 superduty 7.3L powerstroke rev auto=VHAE9E2(VCQ4 catchword).bin
    224 KB · Views: 70

CustomTuning

Reaction score
I have managed to find most popular needed maps & will release an xdf once I can confirm it is all good but just want to check with experts to make sure I'm on the right track.

CustomTuning

Reaction score
Do you care to elaborate or would you prefer me to PM, what definition have you worked with?

I'm starting with the VHAE9E2 & have...
Fuel Pressure(7x16)
Fuel Table(11x16)
1st Timing Table(20x11)
Timing Map(9x11)
2nd Timing Table(11x16)
Turbo ICP(1x7)
Overboost(11x11)
Torque Limiter(11x11)

CustomTuning

Reaction score
Has anyone got the stock file for PMT1 which is also known as VRAA6S3 or ford calibration 1C3F-12A650-ZB, I'd like to compare the map locations with it too.

CustomTuning

Reaction score
Has anyone ever figured out how to reorder the factory 216kb files to suit the 224kb or 256kb files as there may be a way to get stock files that way.

CustomTuning

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies...WOW!
Anyway bankorder & padding is easy no matter what format style now(so if anyone needs conversions let me know).
With the tuning files Dusty at 1023 was being really helpful helpful & won't post xdfs if all goes well as the tuners deserve it if everyone's on the same page!

Charles

Reaction score
After completely becoming unable to deal with the catch and release transmissions, traction control, advancetrac, def, dpf and general communism associated with newer trucks, my 2020 F450 has been parked for a few months now since I drug my 02 out of the woods, wiped the slime off of it and started driving it again....

Seeing as I have reluctantly started tuning again, I thought I should toss a couple updates to this thread for conceptual purposes.

First off..... that thing people always talked about where a truck had to be live tuned because they all run different... I figured out the deal on that. It's the IDM. If you truly want to send a canned program with a set of injectors that will work no question, you might think about sending an IDM too. I ran into this with the program(s) I posted in this thread, which is why I wanted to clarify this point. The IDM in my 02 stock is way, way, way weak. If ran my same programs in Johnny from Swamps truck with the exact same injector, it was nearly undriveable. Way, way touchy, barely make it down to idle and smoke like a pos...

So if any of you suffered that fate running anything I posted up before realizing that, I apologize! It took me about 6 or 7 revisions to get his truck dialed back in and the pw dialed back down.

My bad on that.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
After completely becoming unable to deal with the catch and release transmissions, traction control, advancetrac, def, dpf and general communism associated with newer trucks, my 2020 F450 has been parked for a few months now since I drug my 02 out of the woods, wiped the slime off of it and started driving it again....

Seeing as I have reluctantly started tuning again, I thought I should toss a couple updates to this thread for conceptual purposes.

First off..... that thing people always talked about where a truck had to be live tuned because they all run different... I figured out the deal on that. It's the IDM. If you truly want to send a canned program with a set of injectors that will work no question, you might think about sending an IDM too. I ran into this with the program(s) I posted in this thread, which is why I wanted to clarify this point. The IDM in my 02 stock is way, way, way weak. If ran my same programs in Johnny from Swamps truck with the exact same injector, it was nearly undriveable. Way, way touchy, barely make it down to idle and smoke like a pos...

So if any of you suffered that fate running anything I posted up before realizing that, I apologize! It took me about 6 or 7 revisions to get his truck dialed back in and the pw dialed back down.

My bad on that.

My bad on that.
Good info as always!! Idm makes sense... never thought about the package together..

ToMang07

Reaction score
I definitely wish I had my old 7.3L sometimes. I definitely miss not having a payment. But alas rust got it. I do like the aluminum aspect of these new trucks a lot. All the EPA bullshit and sensors/trackers.... notsomuch.

Charles

Reaction score
I definitely wish I had my old 7.3L sometimes. I definitely miss not having a payment. But alas rust got it. I do like the aluminum aspect of these new trucks a lot. All the EPA bullshit and sensors/trackers.... notsomuch.

Nothing warms the heart better than that GRRRRRRRRRR....... SHIFT... GRRRRRRR that a 4R100 provides. Torque reduction on shifts..... Z E R O......

No confusion, no gender dysphoria.....just SHIFT... SHIFT....SHIFT..... THE END!

They can keep the new shit. A good truck that's worn out is better than a new pos. Worn parts can be replaced.

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
Nothing warms the heart better than that GRRRRRRRRRR....... SHIFT... GRRRRRRR that a 4R100 provides. Torque reduction on shifts..... Z E R O......

No confusion, no gender dysphoria.....just SHIFT... SHIFT....SHIFT..... THE END!

They can keep the new shit. A good truck that's worn out is better than a new pos. Worn parts can be replaced.
True but I am fighting that now on my 1995 7.3. The shift points are horrible. I am tired of emailing back and forth trying to get updated programs from tuners.

Thinking I am going with a stand alone computer to run the trans. Wish we could put the 5r or 6r behind the 7.3

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
True but I am fighting that now on my 1995 7.3. The shift points are horrible. I am tired of emailing back and forth trying to get updated programs from tuners.

Thinking I am going with a stand alone computer to run the trans. Wish we could put the 5r or 6r behind the 7.3
Have you looked at this system? I like the fact you can adjust a lot of parameters without having to hook a laptop up.