Transmission issues, possibly TC?

DudeManScott

Reaction score
While driving my 97 7.3 Auto today I was pulling away from a stop light and the truck would not shift out of first. Pulled over and couldn't even get it to go into gear.

Kept switching between P, N and R and eventually got it to go into gear and to shift gears. Seemed to be revving higher than usual though. Got to another stop light and it was shuddering while coming to a stop then died and now every time I put it into drive or reverse it dies.

Fluid is full, smells a little burnt though. About 15k miles on the fluid.

Does this sound like the TC is bad? Any way to diagnose?

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
The torque converter cannot prevent it from shifting. I think your trans had a major failure. The torque converter is the only thing that can cause the engine to stall, though. It is possible, maybe even likely, that the torque converter clutch control valve is stuck from all the debris that is probably floating around in the transmission.

The only way to know what failed is to take it out and tear it down. Anything else is guessing.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
While driving my 97 7.3 Auto today I was pulling away from a stop light and the truck would not shift out of first. Pulled over and couldn't even get it to go into gear.

Kept switching between P, N and R and eventually got it to go into gear and to shift gears. Seemed to be revving higher than usual though. Got to another stop light and it was shuddering while coming to a stop then died and now every time I put it into drive or reverse it dies.

Fluid is full, smells a little burnt though. About 15k miles on the fluid.

Does this sound like the TC is bad? Any way to diagnose?
Does it lurch forward or backwards when shifting from N to either of those? Or does it not move and just die like you shut the key off?

Mark knows his chit so listen to what he has to say.

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.