blue smoke

2006moneypit

Reaction score
Can a tuner be used to stop the flow of recycled, combustion-dirtied air through the turbo on a stock truck? I am hearing that the egr failure is a symptom of a failing oil cooler. Without the egr cooler, the oil cooler could fail unnoticed, causing far greater damage to the engine if not detected. Does the driver need to have oil temp monitoring on the tuner to be alerted that the oil temps are dangerously high to prevent this? Sorry for all the questions. For owning this truck for 13 years, I sure feel like I don't know enough! Thanks for all the input!!

bismic

Reaction score
Every 6.0L owner needs a monitor IMO.

Oil and coolant temperatures are very important to watch. The differential between these two temperature readings tells you when the oil cooler is plugging up.

Lots of threads on multiple 6.0L forums on monitoring the 6.0L.

You should also keep an eye on FICM voltages, boost, and ICP vs IPR % duty cycle.

You don't necessarily need to watch things all the time, but it is helpful. To have the ability to watch things periodically, you can download ForScan Lite to a smartphone for $5-$10 and buy an ELM327 OBDII adapter for $35 or so and be all set. ForScan is a very good code reader also.

The ELM327 device needs to be WiFi for Apple phones and BlueTooth for Android.

If you want continuous monitoring, the SccanGaugeII is a common choice, but it is kind of clunky and is around $150.

You can go way up in cost with monitors from Edge (CTS2, etc).

I also advocate to watch fuel pressure. The leading cause (perhaps behind Stiction) for injector failures is low fuel pressure. To get a fuel pressure reading you need the sensor AND the gauge. Our engines did not come with anything to read fuel pressure. It is important though. It can save you thousands of dollars to catch low fuel pressure BEFORE the injectors are trashed.

bismic

Reaction score
Couple other things. The BAFX brands of OBDII adapters are pretty reliable. Some of the cheap ones don't connect as well.

Also, on the fuel pressure, you have a test port already - it is on the side of the secondary fuel filter, by the fuel pressure regulator. The port is what the dealerships use to test fuel pressure. You can tie into that port for the sensor. Most people install the hose (in the link below) into that test port and then put the sensor on the end of the hose.

https://www.strictlydiesel.com/p-2671-driven-diesel-60l-fuel-pressure-adapter.aspx

Depending on what you want to do, you also may need a fitting by itself:
https://puredieselpower.com/ford/ford-6.0l-powerstroke-fuel-pressure-gauge-adapter-fitting.html

Latest posts

Members online