Traction Problems

BigNiner19

Reaction score
08' 6.4 Tuned and have a lot of trouble with traction. Even being super careful on any kind of wet road feels like I'm driving on ice

I've had a few different set-ups that I can compare to. I had a 6" lift with 37" mud terrains and traction wasn't great.

I removed the lift because it rode like crap and back to stock height and had 22 x 12 wheels with Nitto street tires. Honestly, this combo seemed to have the best traction, but just wasn't my style and not the most ideal for truck use.

Currently, I am stock height with a 20x10 wheel and a 33" regular all terrain comparable to the tire that comes from factory. This combination is the absolute worst in the rain, however is a pleasure to drive on dry roads.

Any thoughts, recommendations? etc?

jdgleason

Reaction score
Toyo Open Country MT's have given me the best traction as far as tires I've run. Thing was downright scary on 420's, and Toyo all terrains weren't a ton better.

Jomax

Reaction score
Toyo Open Country MT's have given me the best traction as far as tires I've run. Thing was downright scary on 420's, and Toyo all terrains weren't a ton better.

Scary on 420s, how so?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
another vote for toyo m/t. They hook better half worn out than most all terrains and street tires. Stable for towing and wide tread reliefs for rain. perfect in off road conditions. they are not the best snow tire esp once you slide sideways but all around my go to. a little noisy too but i dont care.

BigNiner19

Reaction score
Thank you all for the responses. I was trying to avoid the MT's because of road noise, but I'll be honest if thats what i need to have the best traction at slippery boat ramps and wet roads I'll do it again.

My experience with the nitto street tires was actually not that bad.

Here is another question, would a wider wheel/tire combo have better traction than stock wheel/tire combo? Maybe it has a wider tread to the ground deal?

Black AOD

Reaction score
I would probably vote Toyo R/T for a good tire too. They did better than my Old Toyo M/T imo

turboTwang6

Reaction score
On hard surfaces, no, wider tread equals less traction, simply because the weight of your vehicle is spread over a larger area. Think about skinny vs. Wide tires in the snow, you have more pressure to the ground with the skinny tires which results in better traction.

I haven't tried the toyo mts but the toyo ats in wider sizes aren't great on anything other than dry pavement.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Toyo mt in 305 still seemed to have good traction the few times I drove my truck with them. 305 wide in the a/t was junk.

Jomax

Reaction score
Because it never gets traction under power and tries to turn around at highway speed lol

Doesn’t make sense.. on my 2015 that sucker would hook on the 420s... vs G2s.

Jomax

Reaction score
On hard surfaces, no, wider tread equals less traction, simply because the weight of your vehicle is spread over a larger area. Think about skinny vs. Wide tires in the snow, you have more pressure to the ground with the skinny tires which results in better traction.

I haven't tried the toyo mts but the toyo ats in wider sizes aren't great on anything other than dry pavement.

If that was the case. Every sports car would have skinny tires.....

2015BDstroke

Reaction score
I’ve run nitto at’s and And mud grapplers. They sucked ass. The toyo at’s were ok and the toyo mt’s have all been great. I ran a set of toyo proxes for a little bit. They gripped like crazy on any road. Wet or dry. But I’m off-road to much so I stayed up with the mt’s.

btoler4th

Reaction score
Any thoughts, recommendations? etc?[/QUOTE]

Did the 420 thing for a while after I lowered truck down, had fun. Started getting annoying getting stuck in my backyard. Came to my senses and leveled truck, and ran mts, and I absolutely agree with others- great traction, and the noise was not an issue (to me).They were 35x12.5x22s. Rotated every oil change and had very good results. On terra grapplers now only bc I got a killer deal after a scary blowout otw to work one morning, and just happened to come across them at same time. I tow a 5'r with them and also keep them rotated and have been pleased. Slightly better hwy mileage. I'll definitely return to the mt once these run their course. Can't beat the look even worn down as Sootie mentioned.

Buddy has ridge grapplers on a 2500 Cummins ccsb, he tows quite a bit, and I know it doesn't help their life- but they've worn down much more than we anticipated. I was considering them myself for the future.

About to stuff a set of mts on our 17' 6.7 crew/work truck. They'll see brutal right of way conditions in eastern nc , and lengthy hwy runs. Can't wait.

BigNiner19

Reaction score
So the general consensus here is that MT style tires last longer and perform better on wet pavement for daily driving? I never would have guessed this in a million years.

I have liked the Terra grapplers on past trucks, but have no experience on a bigger truck that I tow regularly with or drive on wet roads.

Reaction score
So the general consensus here is that MT style tires last longer and perform better on wet pavement for daily driving? I never would have guessed this in a million years.

I have liked the Terra grapplers on past trucks, but have no experience on a bigger truck that I tow regularly with or drive on wet roads.
Im also in the market for a new set of tires.
I am also surprised to hear that MTs do so well. Id like a more aggressive tire, but without the tire noise.

I have had two sets of Terra Grapplers. 295/65/20. First set lasted 80k miles. 50% towing 18k pound trailer. Second set has 60k and still has 7/32 left.

I believe they changed the tire compound on the new terra grapplers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
i have never had any nittos wear worth a crap. And yes, after many many sets of toyo m/t's, they are my go to tire.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.