ZF6 went Boom!

Barnbuilder

Reaction score
Friday I was pulling the dump trailer with a load of firewood on it. Shifted gears and got a loud bang from the trans. Lost forward power, shifted to other gears and nothing. Had it towed home. Sounds like a bunch of marbles in the trans when I put it in gear. Out of gear pretty quite. South Bend clutch has 70K miles on it. Will try to pull inspection plate off and take a look.

Any you guys have any ideas? I'm guessing the transmission.

79jasper

Reaction score
Yeah, I would look at the tcase also.
You could drain both and see which has the most metal in it. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

psduser1

Reaction score
Pull of the pto cover, see what comes ou, besides oil. Any Steele at all, and I'll bet you stripped the teeth off a gear.
A transfer case is a lot cheaper, but not usually the problem, lol. Those failures happen off-road, usually.
Midwest trans does a decent job, and Dan is good people, unless you've got a shop much closer that is comfortable with a zf6 rebuild.

Barnbuilder

Reaction score
My next question was who to get a replacement from. I have no idea on anyone around here unless I find a used one. In about ready to sell this thing.

Barnbuilder

Reaction score
I need to get new tunes while this thing is down. Power sucks and smoked like a pig if I use more than about a 1/2" of peddle. So open to your suggestions. Currently No Limit which is now DynoProven.

ACs, 38R, Adrenaline pump.

Barnbuilder

Reaction score
Well I drained it and pulled the pto cover off. Didn't see any debris. Started truck put it in gear, the gears didn't turn. Took it out of gear and gears spin. Shut engine off out of gear I can turn gears by hand. Hear something up towards clutch.

Input shaft, clutch?

psduser1

Reaction score
Well I drained it and pulled the pto cover off. Didn't see any debris. Started truck put it in gear, the gears didn't turn. Took it out of gear and gears spin. Shut engine off out of gear I can turn gears by hand. Hear something up towards clutch.

Input shaft, clutch?
Either one requires pulling the transmission.:shrug:

jopes1

Reaction score
I had the rivets give out on my luk a year ago. That was a great Friday birthday suprise driving home.

Barnbuilder

Reaction score
Well its only been over a year. Finally got started on this. Dropped the driveshafts and skid plate. Will get the shifter wiring harness and clutch hydraulics next. I'm guessing I should drop the transfer case separate from transmission. Will the transmission slide out from under truck if the truck isn't on a lift? You guys have any other recommendations?

Latest posts

Members online