Need a zf6 guy to help me fight the transmission shop.

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
So I had the transmission shop rebuild my zf6 September of 2016. The truck barely moved till a few months ago when I let a friend start driving it. Well it’s got 5k miles on it now and the transmission crapped out. Trans shop initially said they have no idea how the trans broke last week. This week they tell us the clutch caused the issue. They want 1800.00 to fix it. I believe these guys are just trying to screw me out of the work.

I was wondering if some one could help me fight the transmission shop on this, or does this excuse sound real? I don’t see how the clutch could have tore the trans up. Here’s a few pics the shop sent us.

5f02009d140d6c1b164c41f8f62201a9.jpg

55ee4e4887acbcad524aa1b973781920.jpg

02589e886683606afa8bf662b39d6c2a.jpg

74498cfd21f2ec51fc9272d563ca237b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
Was a new clutch, FW, PP, throw out bearing and pilot bearing installed when the transmission was rebuilt? Was the FW resurfaced? Looks like the pilot bearing failed to me. That wouldn't cause that damage to the internals. These transmissions are very tough. I suspect parts were either not within spec and or not replaced when the rebuild took place. Was it shifting and driving fine then all of a sudden a major faliure? Who was driving the truck? You or someone else when it broke?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
My buddy was driving it. He said it started acting funny so he went ahead and got the trans shops contact info. A few weeks later it’s in the shop. I don’t have much info other than that. I’ve been busy at work and he’s been dealing with it until today.

It’s the same clutch that was in it before they rebuilt it. They complimented how good the cutch looked when they gave the truck back to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

psduser1

Reaction score
What is the warranty?
Was the trans hard to shift into any gear?
Letting a buddy drive it during the break in period was a dumb move, just yo be clear.

psduser1

Reaction score
Never heard of a "break in" for a zf.
Regardless, they screwed up.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Break in being a general term for any mechanical assembly, lol.
I do think that there was an assembly error, either something worn out of spec, or a clearance not right, possibly. For those gears to shed steel like it appears, there was something wrong from the start. Did the shop fill with the correct oil? Or any oil?

Latest posts

Members online