Things I've checked so far
Fuel filter changed
Tried different cps
Builds icp pressure while cranking ramps up to about 1900 or so
Icp sensor appears to be working when I unplug it it makes out on scanguage
Buzz test passed all 8
No dtc at this point
Removed tuner (ts 6 position)

Fuel bowl is filling up fast but drains itself pretty fast so I'm thinking maybe fuel bleed off somewhere? Any ideas
And I forgot to mention it does have an air dog 150 fuel pump and intake other than that stock As far as I know

DieselDC

Reaction score
Somethings wrong with the fuel system. Shouldnt drain like you described.

Unplug the icp and give her a go. Doe she start?

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

Superduty00

Reaction score
Ya that's what I was thinking not sure what would be draining the bowl so quickly...and ideas? I got a mechanical gauge so I can hopefully check fuel pressure this weekend

Superduty00

Reaction score
And no I tried it with icp unplugged and no change... tried three different cps I had just to be safe

DieselDC

Reaction score
You need a good scan!

Got a spare ipr? I have a few sitting around just for this very reason- rule sensors out.

—————signature—————

Superduty00

Reaction score
Ya I have a spare ipr I was thinking about trying I have three 7.3s so plenty of ipr and cps to play with... I didn't think it would be ipr since I'm building plenty of icp pressure while cranking??? But easy enough to try swapping

Superduty00

Reaction score
And I don't have access to a good scanner but I have an a/e scanguage so any paramaters you recommend checking?

DieselDC

Reaction score
Ya I have a spare ipr I was thinking about trying I have three 7.3s so plenty of ipr and cps to play with... I didn't think it would be ipr since I'm building plenty of icp pressure while cranking??? But easy enough to try swapping

When you’re cranking and it doesn’t start , icp jumps high like that it’s pointing to an ipr/electrical issue. Once you unplug icp, truck must start if all sensors working and truck is in good order. If it doesn’t start, bad ipr. If it starts and it’s choppy, bad icp.

—————signature—————

DieselDC

Reaction score
And I don't have access to a good scanner but I have an a/e scanguage so any paramaters you recommend checking?

Check your glow plugs. Relay working with key on? Key on also turns pcm, which allows fuel to flow. 500icp, 10v, 100rpm will allow the truck to start.

Check fuel filter - is it black? Check to see if it’s filling up and not draining. If you have a pressure gauge that would be helpful!

You need to scan for icp, ipr. To see if those parameters are in good order.

—————signature—————

Superduty00

Reaction score
I can't check to see if the fuel is black from injector o rings cause the fuel bowl drains itself but I am definitely getting plenty of fuel flow... does not start with icp unplugged I haven't ohmed out glow plugs yet but I assumed it wouldn't be that cause it was warm and I tried block heater with no change batteries are good cranking plenty fast enough

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
First off, if you are getting white smoke, and it smells like fuel, you are getting fuel to the cylinders. It will not be an ipr issue. Second, have you checke your oil like was recommended? If youve got an injector dumping fuel, the oil will probably be overfull. Does the truck crank evenly? Like it doesnt have a dead hole or something? Does it ever hydrolock while cranking? Checking the glow plugs is a good idea too, as they help the truck burn the fuel until the cylinders are up to temp. Check the glow plug relay, and ohm out the glow plugs themselves from the valve cover gasket. I have seen multiple uvc harnesses tedt injectors fine but glow plug arent making a good connection.

Superduty00

Reaction score
Oil seemed good on the dipstick I'm going to drain it and see if there's fuel in it... yes seems like it is cranking evenly doesn't really feel like there's a miss while cranking and no never hydrolocked

Superduty00

Reaction score
Okay so I'm finally gettin a chance to mess with it today.. everything looks as it should that I have checked I think my problem lies in whatever is draining my fuel bowl back through the return... as far as I know there's no check valves so I can't think of what would be causing this

Superduty00

Reaction score
Okay so update I went through everything yesterday.....
Oil looked good... maintaining level and doesn't seem to have fuel in it
Getting good icp pressure while cranking.... 1400+
Did another buzz test all passed
No cel no codes
Batteries good tried block heater no change
Haven't got the stuff to check fuel pressure yet but bowl is filling up and then empties itself out of the lower return fitting on side of fuel bowl there isn't any checks or valves on this return line so I'm not quite sure what is causing the bowl to drain

DieselDC

Reaction score
Glad you checked the fuel as recommended.

The simplest would be a new fuel bowl lid. It might not be sealing right. Check the o-ring for the lid.

You have air either leaking out one of the 17+ o ring on the fuel bowl or the fuel supply lines running from the fuel bowl to the heads are leaking. Check them all for dampness.

My best bet is redoing all the fuel bowl o-ring will resolve the drain and or fixing any fuel leaks you have. Worst is the fuel bowl itself is cracked somewhere. Just a guess and my approach if it were me.

https://tinyurl.com/ydxtyro9

—————signature—————

Superduty00

Reaction score
The fuel filter and lid o ring are new and it's leaking back through the supply fitting from fuel pump.... it had an air dog fuel pump... so I'm thinking at this point it either would have to be something in the fuel pump or a leak inline somewhere creating a siphon and draining the bowl because it should hold full even with lid off of bowl if I remember correctly so I think since it's leaking back down through the supply line(bottom fitting on drivers side of bowl) it would have to do with something from the pump to the bowl (correct me if I'm wrong)

DieselDC

Reaction score
Well for starters, the oem pump has build in anti drain back fittings inside.

Try taking off the top fitting (fuel input) and completely capping it off and see if it drains back.

—————signature—————

Latest posts

Members online