First 6.4 and feeling nervous...

VVVJDMVVV

Reaction score
Hey fellas,

So I’ve Had nothing but dodge diesels. From first gens to third gens and many of em. I have always heard stay away from 6.4 fords, they are junk. I sold my dream truck first gen that had a lot of time and money into it because I needed something with more cab space and better for work (welding truck).

Anyway, here I am owning a 6.4 and reading through the forums here isn’t helping my nerves. That being said, the only reason I purchased this particular 6.4 is it has a built long block from DFC here in Alberta. It also has warranty for another 3 years. Here’s a list of what was done...

DFC long block assembly
ARP 2000 head studs
ARP connecting rod bolts
O ringed cylinder heads
Powerstroke products new billetcam shaft
Chamfered piston bowls
Ceramic coated piston crowns and dry film coated skirts
DFC HD push rods

Also has re balanced injectors with 15% over nozzles, mpd 369sxe turbo, high flow up pipes and I thinkkk that’s it. Then the normal stuff. The turbo is a bit laggy for me and especially once I have a welding skid in the back. Also it shifts into 5th waayyyy too early. Other than that it seams solid but still a bit nervous being that I don’t know 6.4’s at all. What do you guys think reliability wise ? Anything else I should do ?

Attachments

• 39805E1B-6996-4B5B-9F1A-BC9BA8EA85C8.jpg
    39805E1B-6996-4B5B-9F1A-BC9BA8EA85C8.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 131

co04cobra

Reaction score
Looks like a pretty solid build. Over maintenance it and stick w oem and should last you pretty well. For a driver/work truck IMO I’d switch it back to Vgt with a 59/71 or similar sized turbos.

Zeb

Reaction score
Maintain it with OEM filters (oil and fuel), make sure it has the OEM oil filter cap (I can’t tell in the picture) and get in the habit of REGULARLY checking the oil. Not to see if it is loosing oil but rather to make sure the level isn’t increasing which would signal a seal failure on the K16 and diesel getting in the oil.
It sounds like a solidly built engine, but needless to say, if you fill the crankcase up with diesel it’ll kill it.
You could try a retune to change the shift points some, but as was said, a fairly close to stock compound arrangement is hard to beat.

VVVJDMVVV

Reaction score
Is that particular to 6.4’s ? They just like the oem filters better ? Would smaller exhaust housing help ? Or a 364 maybe ? It has an h&s right now ? What’s the best programmer for these things ? I hear lots about *******. Don’t need it to be a race truck. Just want a reliable work truck. Thanks for the help

Zeb

Reaction score
Is that particular to 6.4’s ? They just like the oem filters better ? Would smaller exhaust housing help ? Or a 364 maybe ? It has an h&s right now ? What’s the best programmer for these things ? I hear lots about *******. Don’t need it to be a race truck. Just want a reliable work truck. Thanks for the help

In my opinion everything needs to run OEM filters, but especially 6.0’s, 6.4’s, 6.7’s.
I’ve liked Tyrant tuning, but that being said it’s all been on factory turbo stuff.
I probably wouldn’t spend a lot of time and money trying different turbine housings and turbos. Put that time and money toward a factory styled compound setup and you’ll love it.

08Monster

Reaction score
I would drop down to a 363sxe. Should bolt right in, and be way more responsive and still enough air for 600+hp

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

TD-5

Reaction score
If your have a single turbo set up with an H&S tuner, you are most likely running a custom tune thru their MCC. Someone their in Alberta should be able to write you a transmission tune to get your shift points & converter lock ups where you want them.
Take a look in settings and see what is loaded

Attachments

• IMG_2283.JPG
    IMG_2283.JPG
    641.6 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2284.JPG
    IMG_2284.JPG
    721.7 KB · Views: 85
  • Mild.JPG
    Mild.JPG
    602.6 KB · Views: 83

VVVJDMVVV

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Yes I have tracked a guy down that has some different trans tunes. Also I have been trying to just find a definite answer to do our trucks all have two piece driveshafts from factory ? I ordered my 3.5” lift and it asked one or two piece but for the same year ?

sootie

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Yes I have tracked a guy down that has some different trans tunes. Also I have been trying to just find a definite answer to do our trucks all have two piece driveshafts from factory ? I ordered my 3.5” lift and it asked one or two piece but for the same year ?
no they dont.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.