TCM Adaptive Learning Reset Ford IDS

Remmy

Reaction score
Posted this on another Forum, so for the guys browsing both sorry for the redundancy.

About to tune the truck and was wondering if anyone has any experience in regard to the TCM adaptive learning. My brother is bringing out his company's IDS scanner this weekend and I'm looking for advice from those in the know.

I've heard of guys going to Ford to get the AL reset I'm hoping to avoid that by doing it in the garage. Should the KAM be reset as well?

What is the general consensus on the best method to establish the new shift parameters after reset? (0-60 runs exc.) Any tips or guidance is appreciated.

Thanks for help and pardon my ignorance haha. Just trying to avoid any transmission issues from the start.

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
if you are tuning a 17+ , it should be a pre requisite to reset the KAM afterwards. It is a night and day difference on how the truck runs and feels.

sootie

Reaction score
It seems to only work correctly with IDS. I have done it with FORScan and not been impressed with the results.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Quigs4u

Reaction score
Clear TCM keep alive memory (KAM) and adaptive tables. NOTE: It is critical that TCM KAM is cleared for this procedure to be fully effective.
a. Using IDS, Open Toolbox, then choose Powertrain, then choose TCM, then choose Reset KAM.
b. Using PDS, choose all Tests and Calibrations. Scroll down the menu and choose reset TCM KAM.

NOTE: For PDS, reset TCM KAM is not the same as clear transmission adaptive tables, which is under the powertrain-transmission menu tree. Unhooking the battery will not clear the TCM KAM. It is critical that TCM KAM is cleared prior to relearning the adaptive tables for the transmission. Do not clear the PCM KAM.

4. Verify that the transmission fluid temperature PID is above 175 degrees Fahrenheit. If is is not at 175 degrees F, drive the vehicle for approximately three miles to reach temperature. Transmission fluid temperature must be at 175 degrees F or above before proceeding to Step 5.

5. Perform adaptive shift strategy learn on a level road surface.
a. Accelerate from a stopped position with light throttle to 15 mph and remove your foot from the accelerator pedal.
b. Brake very gently to a complete stop and wait at least six seconds while stopped.
c. Repeat steps a-b five times.
d. Accelerate from rest with light throttle ensuring that the 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 shifts occur at engine speeds between 1,700-2,000 rpm.
e. Continue to accelerate until you achieve 50 mph or the 5-6 upshift.
f. Brake gently to a complete stop and hold your foot on the brake for 10 seconds.
g. Repeat steps d-f three times.

NOTE: Several days of driving are required for the transmission to fully adapt.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.