Need Advice on 6.4l for Next Truck

rowekmr

Reaction score
First let me say I love Powerstrokes having owned a few 6.0l's and briefly a 6.4L. I drove that F450 single cab chassis stake bed that me and heavy diesel tech bought. When we got it the company mechanic said the engine was totaled puking coolant and oil mixing. We got it for cheap and he replaced the front engine cover and replaced the oil cooler and sold it. I did drive it for about 4 hours and it did drink gas (16 mpg empty IIRC) but I like the specs of the heavier duty brakes, tires, and rear end for hauling.

The issues I recall for that engine are top end issues with rockers, cracked pistons, leaking radiators, emission issues from extended idling. I know the heavy diesel tech would replace the rockers on many he serviced. He would also use a different piston in them (IH?), the aftermarket has a brace and all medal radiator to address the leaking radiators I believe.

I am looking to get either a F350 or F450 for part time hauling work and don't want new truck price so looking at 6.0l or 6.4l.

The 6.0's are plentiful but many are showing their miles/age and I wonder how the oil temps would be on extended tows with 20k trailer athough my Ex 6.0l tuned and ******d felt just as strong as a new F250 6.7l I drove for a few months. I like the stock power of the 6.4l and even more the modded power and the upgrades to the interior creature comforts that come on the 08-10's cabin.

Now they have been out a long time I was wondering if there were any other big issues or aftermarket solutions. I'm not dead set on getting it just seriously considering but wanted to hear from the experts here where I tend to get all my truck info.

I see a good number of 6.4L's for sale over 150-175k with engine issues (at auction) is it poor maintenance, driver abuse, extended idling or just its design. I thought I heard that the 6.4L's used in MDT faired better without the Ford installed emissions but never saw hard proof of that.

Bill at Powerstrokehelp on YouTube declared he won't work on them anymore so wondered how do they fare in the real world. He said that quality spare parts are harder to find even new ones from Ford.

Any recommended shops that do quality affordable rebuilds. I would consider getting one with bad engine and putting in a fresh quality built rebuild if the numbers look right. Otherwise I would try to get something less than 125k and probably ******.

Let me know what you guys think.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
If you want reliability, stay away from a 6.4... They have so many common issues, that even seem to show up when "repaired" either using aftermarket stuff, or factory, that they all seem to be money pits. Personally, I think theyre the best looking of the bunch, and yes they do put out a ton of power when modified, but for a driver, hell no. Their injection pumps seem to be made of glass, the radiators leak no matter what you do it seems, factory, all aluminum, braced, new body mounts. Doesnt seem to matter. Rockers are fairly cheap if you can do it yourself, but the piston cracking issue seems to be a big problem, and they still have the cam/lifter issues 6.0s do. The front cover issue seems to be fixed with the last revision of thermostats though...

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

mohead1

Reaction score
Mine runs fine....bought it 6 yrs ago w 80k on it...got rid of the engine killing regurgitation, tow tune, new rockers, flushed, new front cover, maticulous maint. Keep clean syn oil in it, changes at approx 6k, and i change fuel filters every other oil change or approx 12k. I drain the accumulator or whatever you want to call it alot...try to do it every two weeks or so....no issues...have good monitoring and its temps are very good, when towing i really watch the EGTs, and if spiking i back it off...like when going up long grades. Its a good truck....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
Mine runs fine....bought it 6 yrs ago w 80k on it...got rid of the engine killing regurgitation, tow tune, new rockers, flushed, new front cover, maticulous maint. Keep clean syn oil in it, changes at approx 6k, and i change fuel filters every other oil change or approx 12k. I drain the accumulator or whatever you want to call it alot...try to do it every two weeks or so....no issues...have good monitoring and its temps are very good, when towing i really watch the EGTs, and if spiking i back it off...like when going up long grades. Its a good truck....

How many miles on it now?

harrelljr99

Reaction score
If you want reliability, stay away from a 6.4... They have so many common issues, that even seem to show up when "repaired" either using aftermarket stuff, or factory, that they all seem to be money pits. Personally, I think theyre the best looking of the bunch, and yes they do put out a ton of power when modified, but for a driver, hell no. Their injection pumps seem to be made of glass, the radiators leak no matter what you do it seems, factory, all aluminum, braced, new body mounts. Doesnt seem to matter. Rockers are fairly cheap if you can do it yourself, but the piston cracking issue seems to be a big problem, and they still have the cam/lifter issues 6.0s do. The front cover issue seems to be fixed with the last revision of thermostats though...

I think they look best too. At least they got that goin for them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mohead1

Reaction score
158000 and no issues...
i dont abuse it and maintain it well

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
You get mad Everytime but a duramax is what you need. Or a done up 6.7

Connor M

Youtube Certified Master Technician
Reaction score
Buy a 6.7, you can get earlier ones for not much more than a dieted 6.4. Especially for work trucks.

I love my 6.4's but I work on them a lot. I wouldn't buy one if you want something that you're not worried about and don't want to throw a lot of money at. If I blow mine up on the side of the road I call for a ride back to get my wrecker, drag it home, and drive another truck while I fix it.
Lot of work and a lot of money but if the price is right I'd buy one and throw a built daily driver spec motor in it. This week I'm picking up a 450 c&c for 3k and I'm gonna slam the motor I was gonna put in my black truck in it. Total cost for a rust free truck with a zero mile motor- roughly 15k. That's pretty good compared to any 6.4's or 6.7's for sale.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score

This

run-far....far...away
This

Not this

You get mad Everytime but a duramax is what you need. Or a done up 6.7

This

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Lol, man of few words...

Haha right.

Speaking of hard to find parts. Ford doesn't even pay to have their signature blue sealant on the gaskets anymore. This is a genuine oem Ford part number and I got this
VgBIyj4.jpg

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Haha right.

Speaking of hard to find parts. Ford doesn't even pay to have their signature blue sealant on the gaskets anymore. This is a genuine oem Ford part number and I got this

VgBIyj4.jpg
6.4s have always been like that, as far as I can remember. The 6.0s have the blue.

On a completely different note though, we got in a "ford accessory" tailgate assist today. They stuck a ford part number on a deezee package, didnt even bother pitting it in a ford cardboard box...

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
The one I pulled off was blue and every other one I've done prior was blue. Hmm

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Are you guys working on reman motors? Pulled one last week, blue, pulling nother next week, it's a reman though. Probably gold

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Are you guys working on reman motors? Pulled one last week, blue, pulling nother next week, it's a reman though. Probably gold
Everyone ive pulled apart has had black gaskets, and had black gaskets put back on. Remans and originals. Cant say for certain on early 08s, as thats about when I staryed working for ford, and I cant remember back that far, but as far as I can remember theyve been black...