No WMO users here?

Mdub707

Reaction score
Just not a ton of alternative fuel guys in here to begin with, and I think even most of the WVO guys shy away from the WMO.

79jasper

Reaction score
While it can be done in a powerstroke, it's best sticking with a mechanical injection system for waste oils.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Pitcher

Reaction score
Not totally true, you just have to be smart about it. I have been running it for a couple years. Ran it for about 20K in my 6.4, about 40K in a CR Cummins, and Now my 6.0.

Not here to argue with anyone, it's been working well for me. I was just curios if there were others here doing it.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I ran it for two years....it was fine. Haze at idle was a bit much but any egts above 500degrees it cleaned right up.

No centrifuge. I ran it through filters. I started driving my designated work truck more often and i quit messing with it. That was back in 2013.

79jasper

Reaction score
Yeah, it can/has been done.
Just stating the fact that mechanical engines are better with it.

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
I just picked up 2 50 gallon barrels with lids last month. I plan on building a filter system to pump it from one barrel to the other and another filter system to pump it to the truck. I've got all my friends giving me their oils as well. It will take me for ever to recoup the cost of the filter set up but I'd rather not waste the oil when I can run it. Years ago I read an article in Diesel Power about a guy who ran a 80% used ATF and 20% diesel. I believe in the article he had been doing it for a long time and was using 8 zero micron John deere filters to pump and clean the ATF.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

ithumpwheniwalk

Reaction score
I'm no expert, but I always thought it was w85... 85% used motor oil 15% regular unleaded gas (approx) to a batch. FWIW there are a few good threads around here on the subject.

Last edited:

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
I may be wrong on that article. It was years ago but I'm 90% sure that's what the article said ole boy was running in his excursion. That's just one guy though.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I may be wrong on that article. It was years ago but I'm 90% sure that's what the article said ole boy was running in his excursion. That's just one guy though.

You can mix it with anything or nothing. There is no right or wrong. One rule is you better not think about running 8t straight in the winter. People told me to not use it at all in the winter. So i oarked my truck on Thanksgiving of 2011 and had a half tank of diesel to which I topped off the truck with clean wmo. Let it sit and by that weekend it was 5deg out. It was as liquid as diesel fuel is. Fired it tight up with 240k mile stock injectors.

Edit:i refuse to correct my spelling errors anymore. They change after I hit post.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Yeah, it can/has been done.
Just stating the fact that mechanical engines are better with it.

I 100% disagree with that. The 7.3 and the 6.0 are probably the most ideal candidates for WVO use, because the fuel flows directly through the head. It can pre-heat fuel better than most other diesels out there.

Mechanical engines are simpler, for sure, and easier to repair in most cases, and more forgiving. But if done correctly, at least with WVO, I prefer 7.3's and 6.0's. The key is doing it correctly. Starting and shutting down on #2, and only burning WVO when it's heated.

psduser1

Reaction score
I 100% disagree with that. The 7.3 and the 6.0 are probably the most ideal candidates for WVO use, because the fuel flows directly through the head. It can pre-heat fuel better than most other diesels out there.

Mechanical engines are simpler, for sure, and easier to repair in most cases, and more forgiving. But if done correctly, at least with WVO, I prefer 7.3's and 6.0's. The key is doing it correctly. Starting and shutting down on #2, and only burning WVO when it's heated.

Have you tried running small amounts through the tank, continually? Say 10%, mixed in the tank? As opposed to starting and stopping on #2, and running the wmo in between?

Mdub707

Reaction score
No, and I wouldn't do that in any case, no matter what engine platform I was running it on. Unless it was a vehicle I truly did not care about.

I wont run WMO either, it was WVO I used.

psduser1

Reaction score
10-4, I misread your post.
Why wouldn't you run wmo? Assuming it was clean? As in, through a centifuge, clean?
I know a lot of guys just use filters, but I wouldn't run just filtered oil through an injector, either. The centrifuge salesman claim near perfect oil, is the reason I ask.

Pitcher

Reaction score

The 6.4L Powerstroke with the stock fuel cooler / heater was slick. It kept the WMO above 80 degrees prior to hitting the CP3.

Made things quit nice for viscosity. The only downfall was the pathetic stock lift pump, which was easily replaced.

sootie

Reaction score
The 6.4L Powerstroke with the stock fuel cooler / heater was slick. It kept the WMO above 80 degrees prior to hitting the CP3.

Made things quit nice for viscosity. The only downfall was the pathetic stock lift pump, which was easily replaced.

CP3 on a 6.4?

Pitcher

Reaction score
CP3 on a 6.4?

Sorry, same thing but made by Siemens and a little more flow. I unfortunately did two years of hell dealing with the Common Rail Cummins.

Had to go back to powerstrokes because I was tired of maxing out my AAA towing... :toast:

Latest posts

Members online