Looking for options on an 08

eng53ine

Reaction score
is a 350 enough truck for what you wat to do? I ask cause we run 250 gallon tanks, which seems pretty standard on most brush setups. Fill that plus a pump, hose, hand tools, saws, and all the other gear and you add up pretty fast. We run 550's for our brush trucks.

We've always had 1 tons, I'd rather have a 550. They think it'll be to easy to get a dually stuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wadeclinton

Reaction score
We work on a ton of hotshot trucks from our forest service, quite a few are 6.4s, and are a major pain in the ass to work on, and they fail quite often. Majority of them are backup trucks for the 6.7 and cummins trucks. They are currently in the process of phasing most of them out, and i think there is only 1 or 2 6.0s left. Dont know if that helps your decision at all, but good luck.

Most of the ones that are chase trucks like you seem to be looking at, are gassers around here.

I can confirm the above statements. The 6.0 and 6.4 fleet on our forest is mostly phased out. While those trucks were in our fleet, they were constantly in the shop for repairs. Injectors and turbos were the biggest portion of work being done. Most of the trucks were on their 2nd motor when they went up for auction.
The 6.7 Ford and Cummins trucks that are in the fleet are holding up better. We don’t have any patrol/Type 6 outfitted trucks, they are all the HotShot Supt, or Dozer Tender outfitted trucks.
However they are not problem free. The fire environment and the operators that run them are pretty tough on them. We’ve had issues specifically related to fuel quality, and air filter maintenance. We had a few of the early 6.7 fords with tranny issues, but the OEM updates fixed that. In my anecdotal surveys, I’d say the oil change interval is way to long on our trucks too. I’ve seen some go 10-15k between changes.
If it was me having the experience I have I’d do a model year 15 or newer 550 or 5500.

eng53ine

Reaction score
I can confirm the above statements. The 6.0 and 6.4 fleet on our forest is mostly phased out. While those trucks were in our fleet, they were constantly in the shop for repairs. Injectors and turbos were the biggest portion of work being done. Most of the trucks were on their 2nd motor when they went up for auction.
The 6.7 Ford and Cummins trucks that are in the fleet are holding up better. We don’t have any patrol/Type 6 outfitted trucks, they are all the HotShot Supt, or Dozer Tender outfitted trucks.
However they are not problem free. The fire environment and the operators that run them are pretty tough on them. We’ve had issues specifically related to fuel quality, and air filter maintenance. We had a few of the early 6.7 fords with tranny issues, but the OEM updates fixed that. In my anecdotal surveys, I’d say the oil change interval is way to long on our trucks too. I’ve seen some go 10-15k between changes.
If it was me having the experience I have I’d do a model year 15 or newer 550 or 5500.

I'll keep that in mind thanks for the input.

sootie

Reaction score
I’ve been there - try adding it to your cart and theirs no price. You’d have to call in. There are no dealers out there willing to answer your inquiries other than stocktonwheels.

I just talk right to them. Decent group of guys.
18312c7ee1cb7b6d9ac5ac7bf561d558.jpg

DieselDC

Reaction score
I’ll give it another try. I usually try the internet thing first - i means what’s the point of having a site and ordering don’t work lol.

Stockton wheels is $465 per rim. 2k for rims + got to buy shoes so 3k easy with shipping chit makes me a poor sob.

eng53ine

Reaction score
I wondered why this was so cheap, I'm guessing this wouldn't be a good choice.

(NOTE THIS TRUCK HAS had water up to the bottom of the floor, but not inside or mechanical, it has a good Texas title but it may state water or rebuilt title when you transfer it, it should come back as a normal title in your state, but I can't guarantee anything, The lease company it came from is just covering there Liability.)

http://stigerstrucks.com/2015-Ford-F350SD/Used-Truck/Frankfort-KY/10159975/Details.aspx

eng53ine

Reaction score
When the build is ready - let us tag along! Love to see sick builds or at least any builds

Well we brought this home today, 13 F350, 6.2 with 78k miles.
f218056937bbb862fa7b88cf237824f2.jpg

DieselDC

Reaction score
Well we brought this home today, 13 F350, 6.2 with 78k miles.
f218056937bbb862fa7b88cf237824f2.jpg

That looks like a great truck! Good find!

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

eng53ine

Reaction score
That looks like a great truck! Good find!

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

It’s very clean, the power the 6.2 has really surprised me.

sootie

Reaction score
It’s very clean, the power the 6.2 has really surprised me.

Dont want to burst your bubble but those 6.2s SUCK for towing. Lucky to get out of 3rd gear on the highway with 10k behind it. fuel economy? forget it...

Zeb

Reaction score
Dont want to burst your bubble but those 6.2s SUCK for towing. Lucky to get out of 3rd gear on the highway with 10k behind it. fuel economy? forget it...

This right here.
We’ve got a 16 F250, crew cab, 4x4, with a service bed on it. Has about 60,000 miles on it. No mechanical issues with it, but absolutely gutless.
Lifetime fuel mileage is less than 10 mpg, and it rarely tows anything.
I call it the Gutless Wonder.

eng53ine

Reaction score
It’s gotta be better than the 6.5 Chevy we had top speed of 45mph

Latest posts

Members online