Best EGR ****** for 2006 6.0

superduty4x4

Reaction score
RCD full del ete kit is best fitment I've found. And scoop gone forever
The scoop is in the up pipe isn't it?

So a question if I may... I've tried searching to some extent but it's hard to weed out the threads that don't have much relevance to the question on my mind.

When considering an EGR cooler swap vs a d3lete, some of the research I have done tells me that leaving the cooler in place is maybe the better option for a towing vehicle- lower combustion temps and better fuel efficiency are some of the claims. I guess it makes sense a little bit, but the d3lete is such a common mod on these I was curious if anyone has some real world experience they can share one way or the other on this question.
My other question is about coolant- I found or read something that recommended against using ELC with the EGR cooler retained, claiming that the high temps in the cooler will cook the coolant and plug the oil cooler and/or EGR quicker than with the Ford gold coolant, though I've found very little other evidence of this being true.
I will be diving head first into my new to me 6.0 very soon and want to get it fixed up right so it won't be a worry anymore, so I'm looking for advice on the best route to go. Truck will have some DD duty and light to moderate towing - 28ft bumper pull TT with a bed full of dirt bikes will be the main towing duty.

Last edited:

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
The scoop is in the up-pipe, that's why most kits come with the replacement piping.

I can't imagine shoving soot into the intake will help with any sort of efficiency. Also, in theory, coolant temps should drop slightly as it won't be cooling superheated exhaust gases. Honestly, the ONLY reason I've ever head anyone keeping it in place was for the visual or smog checks.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
The scoop is in the up-pipe, that's why most kits come with the replacement piping.

I can't imagine shoving soot into the intake will help with any sort of efficiency. Also, in theory, coolant temps should drop slightly as it won't be cooling superheated exhaust gases. Honestly, the ONLY reason I've ever head anyone keeping it in place was for the visual or smog checks.
OK, stupid question time. I see some kits that come with a section of pipe/exhaust tubing, is this the replacement up pipe? And other kits that have the J-shaped piece of tube and little silicone hose only, assuming that's the "standard" d3lete kit. Also, I hear lots of mention of EGR d3letes not having "enough support", is this because the up-pipes are no longer connected to the EGR cooler?

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Yeah... you either need a plug in the stock up-pipe or replace the up pipe. Check out the pic.. you'll see the massive blockage of the scoop.

https://www.google.com/search?q=for...UICygC&biw=1920&bih=900#imgrc=qli12rwLNCqWoM:

Not a vendor, but IPR Research makes a kit that doesn't use the hose (Look for the Gen2 ****** kit) and is one piece if your worried about that part of it. If not, stick to the No limit or similar vendors here.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Yeah... you either need a plug in the stock up-pipe or replace the up pipe. Check out the pic.. you'll see the massive blockage of the scoop.

https://www.google.com/search?q=for...UICygC&biw=1920&bih=900#imgrc=qli12rwLNCqWoM:

Not a vendor, but IPR Research makes a kit that doesn't use the hose (Look for the Gen2 ****** kit) and is one piece if your worried about that part of it. If not, stick to the No limit or similar vendors here.
Not really worried about the little hose, just trying to wrap my brain around the different styles of kits offered and the plus/minus they have.

webb06

Reaction score
Get a kit with a new up pipe. Using the block off plate with factory up pipe has proven to allow the bellows to flex and crack over time. If you get a kit with the j tube and hose don’t use the clamps in the kit. Find a better clamp and reuse the up pipe bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online