6.4 g-h tune down on boost and up on smoke.

Highroller54

Reaction score
No I haven't and I would love to find someone's I could barrow for a minute. I don't normally throw parts at things but this is where we are at lol.

Highroller54

Reaction score
It maxes out at 655 I think it was g/s and I do believe that's correct. I do know depending on who wrote the tunes the number on the scan tool will change drastically. Not the max number just the rest. Or I am wrong lol

Highroller54

Reaction score
Brand new ford maf and no change. Same grams/second at idle and at 2000rpm between both sensors, problem is still there. The last tune gh sent me does act different as it doesn't get "stuck" at 32 psi. It gets "stuck" where it wants, the lower the boost is when it happens the more exaggerated the problem is. In park at 2000 rpm the maf is reading 420 g/s which is weird to me since the sensor maxes out at 655. Seams very high and matt says he does not rescale it in the tune. Not sure if that's a issue or it's good.
I must say the boys at g/h have been great trying to help me fix my truck. It's still broke but I sure appreciate them and anyone else trying to help me.

Highroller54

Reaction score
Quick update

Shops been busy so I have not had any time but today I took the down pipe out and replaced it with a 4" afe, old one had no oil in it, I pulled the muffler out and it's a strait through 5" normal performance muffler. My down pipe bell was cut off and then someone who couldn't weld put a piece of pipe over it and I had no clue what it had for a muffler, thought maybe there was a restriction somewhere but everything was good. Well not good but not my problem lol.
I also gave the low pressure turbo a reach around and it feels mint. Next will be the egr ****** I have been meaning to do for years and then back to diagnostics

Highroller54

Reaction score
After taking the winter off working on the truck (was on my nova) I did some much needed repairs and a full egr ******.
Didn't find anything out of the ordinary and the truck is still running high ebp, low boost and black smoke. So back to testing/diagnosing.
I don't understand at full throttle how the vgt can be 100% open and have high ebp low boost black smoke high egt's, let off, step on it, 100% vgt lower ebp, low smoke, low egt's high boost working perfect. Wtf could have changed??
Can a vgt open too much too early and then create that problem?
Any ideas guys are welcome. I am lost. Towing season is coming up, I can tow with h&s tuning and it works fine but not like my gear head (well when it worked lol)

Shafer171

Reaction score
Sounds like an exhaust leak to me. Have you checked the up pipes and all connections? Are you running stock up pipes and manis or 6.0 style?

Highroller54

Reaction score
I can do that, wouldn't mind welding a bung into the drivers side for my ebp sensor anyways. Think I am possibly loosing drive pressure on one side? I could poke my Snap-on eye ball on a stick (camera) around there to. Have you seen them blow out on the backside of the turbo?

Shafer171

Reaction score
The backside in particular if not lined up properly will not seal correctly, doesn’t put out much soot but will affect turbo performance. I have 6.0 style pipes and manifolds, the connection at the manifold had loosened up, could not find any soot or visually tell it was leaking but my vgt would not work properly.

Highroller54

Reaction score
It has to be something silly like that in my opinion. Thank you, I will check and report back. Chad.

Highroller54

Reaction score
Ok, ran a light and mirror around everything, Snap-on camera around everything, pulled ebp sensor and put the smoke machine in there, tiny leak at the downpipe (who cares lol) put some tools on the bolts for the turbo, they are tight, up pipes to manifolds are tight and manifolds to heads are tight. I don't see how it could possible be leaking anywhere.

Highroller54

Reaction score
If you think it's worth it I'll pull it apart. They don't look too bad to get out of there. Well no worse then what I do all day long on other people's junk lol. I want a ebp bung on one anyways.

Latest posts

Members online