Vac pump failure

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Pretty sure mine is dying a slow death- power brakes aren't working so hot and the AC blows out the defrost vents until RPM's come up. The pump is also making more noise and there is a buzzing under the dash that goes up/down with rpm.

Question- will a failing vac pump cause the e-brake light in the dash to come on? Since this problem started the e-brake light has been on also. At first it was intermittent, now it's on all the time.

Tom S

Reaction score
I do believe the brake light will also come on with low vacuum. I would not screw around with that as no assist at all will be no joke. You will need a powersteering pump pulley tool for the replacement. Otherwise it is a simple job.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
It was in fact the vac pump. I swapped the one from my wrecked truck last night and all is well now. I did not need a pulley puller, I used a 10mm box wrench to crack the bolts loose and they were just long enough to completely unthread, but not fall out which was highly convenient for the reinstall.

bad12jr

Reaction score
They will not come out without pulling the pulley. Convenient when just swapping a pump with the pulley. A pain in the A$$ when you have a new pump.

Tom S

Reaction score
If you are a Ford guy it is worthwhile to just buy the puller kit. I have used mine many times over the years.

Latest posts

Members online