Turbo Vanes Cycling While Driving?

Mdub707

Reaction score
New "issue" popped up last week. The turbo vanes seem to be "shutting off" while I'm in drive crusing around. Doesn't ever really happen when I'm accelerating hard, just when I'm cruising around in my town (30mph limit, real slow driving), sometimes taking off from a stop sign, you can hear the exhaust pitch change and the truck gets throaty, I take off and it really wont spool. Same thing happens at cruising speeds with low RPM's. boost falls below 10 and then out of no where I can hear the truck lug a little and look and boost drops to almost 0 and sometimes right to 0. Doesn't seem like a sticking turbo since it will come back up and go back down quite easily. Maybe the VGT solenoid? Doesn't seem like a leak anywhere, it still makes ~33psi pulling hills in the race tune. I have also tried a few different tunes and it does it in all of them. Thoughts/comments/suggestions? Is there something I can monitor with AE to see what is happening? I don't personally have it, but could borrow it this weekend. Thanks.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Nope. It will if I roll into it, some black smoke will come out. I can easily take it out and recondition it this weekend, but it doesn't seem like a sticking issue, since it seems to cycle at a set throttle position.

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Sounded like a similar situation mine in like second or 3 would lock down and poor smoke

Mdub707

Reaction score
The turbo or the solenoid? If it was sticking, seems like it would lag and then free up, not just keep cycling.

Mdub707

Reaction score
BUMP any more input? I will clean it if it needs it, just hate to go through that work for no reason if it's something electrical. I am going to check all of the up-pipe connections tonight too to ensure it's all sealed.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I checked my up-pipe to manifold connection, since I did an EGR delete recently (month or so ago). I got a couple tiny turns out of the nuts, but nothing that would cause this to leak or the boost issue. Checked over all CAC connections, nothing. So, planning on pulling turbo and giving it a cleaning, just need to find one of the 3M cleaning kits and find the time to yank it out...

Mdub707

Reaction score
Ok, update on this!

I was finding it very hard to believe my turbo was sticking out of no where. I am also not very light on the go pedal often, so found it even more hard to believe it was coked up.

I decided to spend some time datalogging before digging into the truck. What we found was an incredibly erratic EPB sensor. It would go from min to max value and bounce back and forth repeatedly. Clearly a sensor issue. I pulled the sensor and the EPB tube, and cleaned both really well. The tube itself was relatively clean and free flowing, but I cleaned anyways. The sensor had a little build up, but honestly not that bad considering it's been tuned most of it's life. I cleaned it. Upon reassembly I noticed the wiring harness going to the sensor had been chaffed at the end and two of three wires had exposed wiring. (ie, copper showing). I pulled the plug apart, separated, and taped up all of the wires, reassembled, and it is back to running like normal! Sure beat taking the turbo out and cleaning.

Mdub707

Reaction score
You and me both brother! Just wanted to post results in case anyone else ran into similar situations.

Latest posts

Members online