Custom wiring project

AlaskanTrucker379

Reaction score
I've been a member over on the .org for a while now but have just been lurking over at this place. Members here seem to be much more mature and experienced with trucks. I am still somewhat noob when it comes to motors and performance and such so I feel a little out of place I suppose. I decided that maybe I could at least impress some of you guys with this project I am taking on in my E99 7.3. Maybe even teach you all something for a change!

This is just a beginning. I will be updating this thread as I get more and more finished.

I'm very particular about wiring. When I see someone that uses wire nuts, or those stupid scotch locks everywhere it just makes me want my own wiring job to be absolutely perfect. So that is what I have set out to do. I want room to expand, and want everything to be weatherproof as-well as neat and tidy looking. So here it goes.

I started off with a few hundred dollar worth of parts from Waytek wiring. Super cheap prices for high quality products. Too good to be true? Sort of... You must order in bulk. That's why I have so many of each part. Can never have too many though I suppose.

13576354735_3f7ce2fdbe_h.jpg

The main important components include a Cooper Bussman Fused power distribution block. It has room for 10 fuses and 5 micro relays. It can supply up-to 80 amps per bus continuously. It is all weather sealed with a cover.

cooper_bussmann_rmtr_1.jpg

Molex MX 150L plugs. I wanted to use plugs so everything could be easily added too, removed, taken out, etc... These seemed up to the job. I chose this model of plugs because they were weather sealed, and also had panel mount receptacles. With the panel mount option, The receptacle could be permanently mounted my "wiring hub thingy" (designed in later pics) for a much neater appearance and easier use.

38450FL.gif

38452FL.gif

38411FL.gif

Cole Hearse 100 Amp circuit breaker. This will be the breaker between the battery and the cooper bussman distribution center. The breaker also has a manual trip button so I can easily disconnect the entire distribution block and all aftermarket wiring/accessories from power with a click of a button. That way I don't have to remove the battery ground.

185%20Series%20Generic.gif.gif

I needed a place to mount everything. I decided that between the core support and the drivers battery would give me:

1. Ample room to mount and work
2. Close to battery (short battery cables)
3. Somewhat near hole in fire wall
4. Somewhat protected from direct salt/water spray
5. Ability to be removed

I needed a panel to mount my main Fuse block and all the plugs.

Being an Aluminum welder/fabricator has its perks for sure! After a few hours taking measurements and building a drawing in autocad, I was ready to cut. I used the Computerized plasma cutter on a piece of .100 aluminum. It took a few tries to get the fit perfect and all the pieces in optimum locations but I was satisfied with my third go around.

13575749075_9633973759_h.jpg

13575745825_af97123558_b.jpg

Main components test fit. Holes still need to be drilled. I will make a template on autocad and print it out so I get the holes in the exact places.

13575801263_8caece518e_h.jpg

13575733895_6a968fa2a7_h.jpg

35 amp Micro relay in place just for fun.

13576097144_a1b611bee5_h.jpg

Roughed into place.

13575742465_00c796bedc_h.jpg

I am now at the stage where I need to mount it to the core support. I want it to be easily removable so I will end up welding on some studs to the aluminum panel. I will then drill and tap the studs so all I have to do is unscrew a couple screws with a philips and unplug my handy dandy molex plugs and the entire aluminum panel comes right out if I every need to service something under neath it or add another circuit for an accessory. Kinda hard to explain so you will have to wait until I can get it done to see what I have in mind.

Here is the other half to my wiring endeavor. The cab! Thanks to Tousley Ford, I got an F-650 dash for 17.95 and freight for only ~$10. Score!

Cut gauge holes. I could have fit three, but didn't like how close they were to each other so I went with two. I will figure out something to put in the empty space in the future. A carling switch panel was installed after cutting out the top space as well.

10738489974_a5a984eb8e_b.jpg

10738708603_63bf49c6bd_b.jpg

Paint mixed by my local body shop and sprayed with areasol paint spray gun by me, myself, and I! I also had OTRATTW.com make me some custom rocker switches. These guys are awesome! High quality switches with literally any symbol or text you can think of! The top light is on with my dash lights, while the bottom LED is lit when the switch is "on"

11942985886_8614f6f60f_h.jpg

Soldered in blue LED's and resistors in the top light socket and Red LEDs in the bottom socket.

13577456854_f8fb2aa9dc_b.jpg

Installed. The amp guage is just a place holder. I had it sitting in a drawer from an old A model Kenworth. Eventually I will put a fuel pressure gauge in its place.

13577452804_f56bc4e62d_b.jpg

This is just the beginning but I will be periodicly updating this thread as I get more and more done. I hope you guys can learn something from me. I like showing off my OCD :)

Last edited:

zilla68

Reaction score
nice job, I'd bet you could sell those on ebay and make a killing, there is so many people out there that have no clue on wiring anything they will pay good money for easy installs

Radioflyer

Reaction score
Sub'd for future wiring! I'm glad you posted up where you found these connectors, this will make wiring up my lighting sooo much easier and make for less hassle in the future.

AlaskanTrucker379

Reaction score
Regarding selling these...

The time and labor involved in doing this is unbelievable. If I was to pay a shop to do this I would be in the 1000's of dollars by the time it is done. People would not be willing to pay what I would want to charge to make another one just as nice as I plan on making this one.

Regarding the f-650 panel

The one that I got is one for a manual f650. The normal one that you always see interferes with the shift stick on a manual f-350. My truck is an auto, but has a manual transfer case. Although it will clear, it is very close to touching so I decided on the manual panel. I also like the way it was set up better for my needs.

Thanks everyone for the subscriptions. I did some work last night but need to do some more work before I post updated pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlaskanTrucker379

Reaction score
Got a little bit more done this weekend. Doesn't look like much, but actually took a long time.

I didn't want to use a nut and bolt to mount the panel. I want'd to use a screw so it could be easily removable. I was going to try and plug weld a piece of aluminum on the back to drill and tap but the peice was too small and the hole was to large to get a good penetrating weld. I just decided it was the bottom side and wouldn't ever be seen by anyone but me so it was okay to have a weld down there. I would have tig'd it but our Tig torch was down at the moment.

13659135244_fc64dd3664_b.jpg

It's nothing to be proud of, but I still like taking pictures of welds. One this short, welding 3/16's to .100 with a standard ol' wirefeed welder isn't easy to do perfectly. Not long enough to get good heat so I was in more of a globular transfer mode than short-circuit or spray. I'd say it isn't half bad.

13658817123_4cd4297f6b_b.jpg

Installed and screwed in. Holes were drilled into the core support and I made some little brackets that attach from the core support to the panel. Close up pictures in proceeding photos.

13658811375_4d3712e346_b.jpg

I apologize for the crappy photo on this one.

Close up of the mounts that I built.

13658836853_bf18e941e8_b.jpg

Here is a third mount I added. It is attached to a large hole that was already in the radiator. The bolt going into my panel is temporary until I get another screw.

13658816705_f7956e71d2_b.jpg

Everything will still need to come back out and get ground and smoothed out. It will all get powder coated as well when its all finished.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Awesome work, with all the electrical add on's for these trucks I love it when I see clean wiring like this. It makes me want to go through all my wiring again and straighten it up. LOL

AlaskanTrucker379

Reaction score
Here is a small update.

Got all the holes drilled today. Screwed in all of plugs as well as the fuse block and circuit breaker. Now it is time to start wiring. When every once of wiring is done and I am 100% satisfied with the panel, it will come off and be taken apart and powder coated.

13956125606_fcc385df03_h.jpg
Untitled by alaskantrucker379, on Flickr

13999214833_5f83a2debf_h.jpg

13999058003_3df8234364_h.jpg
by alaskantrucker379, on Flickr

13955970876_19f5733f3d_b.jpg

Here is something else I have been working on in the mean time. Really wasn't a perfect place to put it in the cab, so I compromised. A little fab work, and a little plastic cutting with the dremel and I now have a new brake controller.

13979221425_276d1de8f7_b.jpg

13979492844_3a58d27a7e_b.jpg

13979055015_3e6ba4a82f_b.jpg

Latest posts

Members online