exhaust stacks illegal????

stroker57

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone as heard or got pulled over for having stacks in Maryland I was told the law was changed to make them illegal I can't seem to find any info on this anywhere just wondering if anyone knows anything about it

ghohouston

Reaction score
I can't speak as the actual law, but my speculation would be they've outlawed straight piped trucks, therefore, they see someone with stacks, instant target. You could however run a muffler with a stack if you really want them...

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
I know over here, the police call any type of modified exhaust "illegal". You may have just gotten blanketed. Probably get it dropped in court. They would have to prove what it was about it that got you cited. DB level violation, smoke, etc., If they didn't tell you any of that, it's probably just a bogus ticket they hope you won't fight

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
If they didn't show you the law or give you the statute number on your ticket, you'll get it dropped. Sounds like a weak ticket

stroker57

Reaction score
That's what I was hoping I can't find anything online saying it was changed and everyone I talk to know nothing about it

HOOV3R

Reaction score
The stack itself isn't illegal, but having an exhaust exposed without a heat shield is. That isn't ever enforced though.

dsberman94

Reaction score
The stack itself isn't illegal, but having an exhaust exposed without a heat shield is. That isn't ever enforced though.

Someone who doesn't know that the exhaust is hot is fully stupid and deserves to get burned. The only person who wouldn't know that exhaust is hot would be a child who is much more likely to touch an exhaust that comes out the back closer to the ground.

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
That's what it is in New York but they still like to pull you over and give a fix it ticket

Yep I've got mine a solid 6" from the cab and get hassled for it occasionally. No ticket yet just a "looks good but its illegal so fix it" kinda talk... cops in town know me so I'm alright lately

hesyru5e.jpg

dsberman94

Reaction score
I've got mine a solid 2-3 inches from the back glass and less than an inch over the cab when they're on. Got pulled over with them and he said they looked good but nothing else about it n

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone as heard or got pulled over for having stacks in Maryland I was told the law was changed to make them illegal I can't seem to find any info on this anywhere just wondering if anyone knows anything about it

Yup in Hawaii they aren't illegal but they'll pull you over for having one. I got pulled over once for having a 8in MBRP black stack on my 7.3. It goes under noise pollution over here. Its stupid LOL.

Bobby@MPD

Reaction score
Yup in Hawaii they aren't illegal but they'll pull you over for having one. I got pulled over once for having a 8in MBRP black stack on my 7.3. It goes under noise pollution over here. Its stupid LOL.

The officer has to have a decibel reader to give you a citation like that.

03ranger30

Reaction score
I can't speak as the actual law, but my speculation would be they've outlawed straight piped trucks, therefore, they see someone with stacks, instant target. You could however run a muffler with a stack if you really want them...

I'm straight piped and don't ever get bothered.

every state should have those laws

Don't you have a stack Bruce? :poke:

Latest posts

Members online